911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

Does elevated gastrin cause ulcers

Customer Question

Does elevated gastrin cause ulcers
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 11 months ago.

911DOC :

If you have persistently elevated gastrin it certianly can

911DOC :

this is a hormone that can predispose to ulcers

911DOC :

and people with something called Zollinger Ellison syndrome have quite a big problem with this.

Customer: I know i have ulcers but they were healing. But i think i might have new ones because my symptoms are getting worse
911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

and have you had an elevated gastrin level?

911DOC :

also, have you had a test for something called 'helicobacter pylori' and an upper endoscopy?

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer: I have elevated gastrin, been tested for hpylori. Have had 5 upper scopes since january
911DOC :

wow

911DOC :

what's next in the evaluation?

Customer: Repeat gastrin and a chromogan a in 3 months
911DOC :

I take it you are under the care of a gastroenterologist....

911DOC :

Are they talking about the possiblity of Zollinger Ellison syndrome?

Customer: Yes and no. Maybe a gastrinoma
911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

are you on suppresive therapy? a proton pump inhibitor like prilosec and other medicines like sucralfate?

911DOC :

also, do you take anything like motrin or aspirin?

Customer: Aciphex and ranitidine. Was taken off sucralfate
Customer: I havent taken nsaids since december
911DOC :

I'm very sorry you continue to have problems

911DOC :

that's good

Customer: But i think i developed new ulcers
911DOC :

I'm very sorry to hear that

911DOC :

How can I help you today?

911DOC :

what question about this can I try to answer for you?

Customer: Is it possibleto develop new ulcers in a month?
911DOC :

yes, particularly if you have a gastrinoma or ZE syndrome... persistently elevated gastrin can do this.

Customer: What do i do for it. It hurts
911DOC :

Well, first of all you need to tell you GI doc about this, and secondly you need to take your medicine as prescribed,

911DOC :

but

911DOC :

most importantly

911DOC :

if you are having acute abdominal pain you need to be seen

911DOC :

as you may or may not know

911DOC :

ulcers certainly cause pain, but ulcers can perforate through the lining of the stomach or intestines and this creates a true medical emergency

911DOC :

doubtful that this is going on

911DOC :

but very important to get examined while you are having this new pain and get labs drawn and probably an Xray

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: I take my meds are prescribed. I sent my gi dr a message. I cant get seen because my gi dr is 4.5 hrs away
911DOC :

but there must be an urgent care or ER near you?

Customer: So i pretty much have to just give them time to heal?
911DOC :

no, that's not what i'm saying

911DOC :

if you are developing new symptoms of abdominal pain and you are already taking your medicines it is very important to get seen today

911DOC :

as you could have a complication from the ulcers such as a perforation (which would require surgery now)

911DOC :

or pancreatitis

911DOC :

which can also occur as a complicatino of ulcers

911DOC :

alternatively

911DOC :

this new pain might not be related to ulcers

911DOC :

the evaluation of acute abdominal pain is very tricky and requires testing

911DOC :

and an exam

911DOC :

it would not be wise to assume that this new pain is from new ulcers, though it is certainly possible,

911DOC :

the point is

911DOC :

that you have new abdominal pain

911DOC :

and this in and of itself

911DOC :

whether you have a history of ulcers or not

911DOC :

requires an evaluation today

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Streaks of blood on vomit
Expert:  911DOC replied 11 months ago.

you need to go to the ER as this is a very dangerous symptom. you need to go now, an ambulance would not be unreasonable. You are bleeding in your stomach and the source needs to be found.

best

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its not the first time this has happened. Every other time it happened it was because of ulcers
Expert:  911DOC replied 11 months ago.

this does not change my answer. you need to be seen now. I'm sorry i can't tell you to stay at home and take some Tums and you may choose to do this, but from a doctor's perspective you need to be seen now.

best

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What will they do
Expert:  911DOC replied 11 months ago.

they will draw labs and they may do a nasogastric tube to check for blood in your stomach.

best

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Theyve never done that
Expert:  911DOC replied 11 months ago.

IM not sure how to respond to that. I am going to open up this question for other experts to see if someone may have more information for you. I think you should go now to the ER.

best

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Was rxd reglan