911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Hi, I have some anxiety issues and forgot to take my Zoloft

Customer Question

Hi, I have some anxiety issues and forgot to take my Zoloft 50 mg a couple of days this week due to being extremely busy. I just finished my masters in school counseling (go figure an anxious counselor ha) and got a new job at a new school. I'm thrilled, but it seems I must be having some anxiety issues over all of the changes. The left side of my face from the corner of my lips to the center of my nose has a numb feeling. Like being injected with novacane. It's not really numb when I touch it. I have been extremely sleepy and now I am worrying about my face. Does this seem to be anxiety related or a physical medical problem?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

Having this sensation on one side of the face only is likely NOT related to anxiety. How long have you had these symptoms?

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer: Yes
911DOC :

good

Customer: Past couple of days. Seems to be worse the sleepier I am.
911DOC :

I'm not particularly worried about these symptoms... but want to know more... how long have you had this strange sensation in your face?

911DOC :

got it

911DOC :

can you get in front of a mirror and smile and see if your smile is the same on both sides of your face? can you also tell me if one side seems 'droopier' than the other....

911DOC :

?

Customer: I was actually interviewing for my new job and I started feelin it
911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

did it come on slowly or sudddenly?

Customer: It felt like a muscle twitch at first and it just occurred
911DOC :

do you have any chronic health issues besides anxiety/depression... whatever you take the zoloft for?

Customer: Then it just felt kind of like a feather touching it or a few hours after going to dentist
911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

so do you notice any difference side to side when you see yourself in the mirror?

911DOC :

do you have any trouble closing your eyes?

Customer: I had PPD and anxiety that has continued on since giving birth two years ago... Healthy other than that
911DOC :

good

911DOC :

and when you look in the mirror and smile... is it the same on both sided? equal?

Customer: No, both sides look the same and my eyes close fine.
911DOC :

good

911DOC :

so a common thing that happens to just about anyone is something called Bell's Palsy... it's not dangerous and this is the first thing that came to mind... stand by for a link.

Customer: Ok
911DOC :

BELL'S PALSY

911DOC :

As you can see, it kinda fits, and may be early Bell's without the facial weakness yet

911DOC :

but it sounds more like you simply have some local nerve irritation or numbness of unknown cause

911DOC :

the other thing to consider

911DOC :

is stroke

911DOC :

but you have no risk factors for it

911DOC :

and the numbness is so isolated that I do not think this Is a valid concern

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: Could it simply be I need rest?
911DOC :

sure... the thing that bothers me is the very localized and specific area of numbness...

911DOC :

something is causing this

911DOC :

and it would be strange for stress or anxiety or lack of sleep to cause such a well defined area of numbness

Customer: So, what should I do?
911DOC :

well that's the real question

911DOC :

have you noticed this feeling getting worse or better since it started, and, is there ANYTHING else that is 'off' that you have noticed?

Customer: Nothing else off. I do remember laying odd and my neck hurting bad.
Customer: But it kind of seems to come and go
Customer: And if I rest my hand on it it does not feel this way.
Customer: Also, I don't remember feeling this way right after waking. Really more when my eyes get really tired.
911DOC :

could be the cause, though the nerves that exit the neck do not supply the face... so compression of the area in deep sleep could cause this, but not anything in the neck.

911DOC :

I think you would be safe to watch this closely, and, if any progression or if any additional symptoms I would go to your doctor

911DOC :

I can think of rare diseases that could be in their very early stages that might have something to do with this, but I really don't want to go into that because your symptoms, at this point, are very nonspecific and isolated.

Customer: Like MS or ALS?
911DOC :

The first thing I thought about was Myasthenia gravis.... but you don't have that

911DOC :

MS could possibly be on the list but usually the sensory symptoms have to do with vision and movement.... though it CAN do just about anything

911DOC :

Did not think for a minute about ALS

Customer: Ok. I think I am going to go to bed! Thanks
911DOC :

you are most welcome.... do you have any final questions for me?

911DOC :

any final questions?

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.