Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

my 21 y.o. son has been continually belching, every 5 seconds

my 21 y.o. son has been continually belching, every 5 seconds for the last 3-4 hours, what can he do

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Belching, as you probably know, occurs due to presence of excessive gas in the stomach. Continuous belching occurs when there is gastritis - inflammation of the lining of the stomach.

Another cause is delayed emptying of the stomach - this can lead to food being present in the stomach for a long time and fermenting, leading to gas formation.

Besides the Tums, your son needs to take anti-acid pills like prevacid - this is available without a prescription.

As an immediate measure, he can also take ice crease - the cool temperature helps soothe the inflamed tissues and the milk dilutes the acid.

Once his belching decreases, please ask him to conult a doctor for a gastroscopy.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you mean ice cream ? thanks

Nancy,

Yes, I did mean ice cream :-)

Although many people do not know it, ice cream is an excellent immediate treatment for gastritis, acid reflux and gas formation due to gastritis. It cools the stomach and dilutes the acid.

Please ask your son to try it - he should start feeling better within 1 hour. Please ask him to take plain vanilla ice cream - no nuts or chocolate or any additions in the ice cream.

I hope this helps.