911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Thanks Dr David. Youve helped me with other questions - you

Thanks Dr David. You've helped me with other questions - you think I have an anxiety problem :), which I do. I am going to see about my leg, but you don't think I have a clot? The edema really concerned me.

911DOC :

This question came open on the site. I have reviewed your prior questions re clot. Would you like to discuss this with me?

911DOC :

Standing by

Customer: Please thank you
911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

have you had an ultrasound or d dimer study?

Customer: No my doctor doesn't think I need it. She thinks its a shin splint
Customer: She wasn't worried at all about at clot - she said my legs look perfectly normal
911DOC :

good

911DOC :

what are your concerns?

Customer: I think I'm okay now - do you think I should of demanded a d diner - she told me not to worry about it, she said based on examination she didn't think I had a clot - she also said that it would get progressively worse not come and go - so you agree?
911DOC :

yes, completely, especially if the pain is on the front of your leg or shin. pain from a clot is posterior... on the back of the calf

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: Can shin split pain radiate into your knee and your thigh
911DOC :

not typically, but with shin splints, which, by definition are in the lower leg, something has caused them... usually over exertion.... and this can cause other muscle or bone pain which could involve the knee and thigh.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: Ok so you are satisfied with her assessment
911DOC :

absolutely... hands on exam and history is perfectly adequate to be reassuring that this is not a DVT

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer: Ok thank you very much!
911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello - I took the muscle relaxer the dr gave me, which seemed to help somewhat, but I still feel discomfort. How long does flexiril work? 10 mg.

I'm still worried about a clot

Flexeril lasts about 6-8 hrs. It tends to make people very sleepy. If you are having success with it, great. I hope you continue to recover well.

best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My leg still feels a little discomfort - any thoughts as to why my leg hurts worse at night when I am laying down - I'm still concerned about a cliot - was reading too much on the Internet last night about people having them without any symptoms

I have a feeling you will worry about a clot no matter what you hear from your doctor, from me, or from Dr David. Your concern at this point is irrational. You hurt in the wrong place, you do not have any risk factors, and a physician has examined you and stated that you do not need to worry about this. As to why this hurts worse at night I can not guess. If you are not taking Tylenol or Motrin (ibuprofen) or something like it it would be reasonable to do so. If in two weeks you are still having pain then it may be reasonable at that time to see an orthopedist for shin splints, or musculoskeltetal pain to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan, but clot is not causing this.

best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Understood - thank you

you are very welcome.

best