Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

We were just chatting. Please respond. How much do anal fissure/irritation

We were just chatting. Please respond. How much do anal fissure/irritation increase risk of cancer and how often should I be seen. Irritation is not constant. I don't know if I have a fissure now anally, but I do have a small one in the perineum.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Anal fissures and other inflammatory conditions increase the risks of anal cancer by only about 1-3%. So although the risk is present, it is not very common for anal fissures to develop into anal cancers.

You should be seen at least once a year if the fissure has not healed. Bu proper surgery to remove the tract of the fissure should accelerate the healing.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I was negative for Hpv last year and have never had an irregular pap. What would you think is my estimated risk at 43? Normal colonoscopy last year.
Reina,

At 43 years, your risk, in case you have a chronic fissure, should be on the lower side. Closer to only 1% rather than 3 %. This is especially so since your other tests are normal ( pap, colonoscopy etc.)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So 1% total risk? What is average risk? I don't know if a have an anal fissure now. Definitely 2-3 mm fissure in perineum from harsh wiping I think.
Average risk ranges from 1-3%.

A fissure in the perineum does not carry any risks for cancer. If your anal fissure has cleared up you have no risk at all and you have no cause for concern.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! If I am reading correctly, my risk with a fissure would be 2-5% range.

I see GI annually. Is that sufficient?
No, your risk would be 1-3%, not 2-5%, if you have a chronic anal fissure.

with a perineal fissure, there is no risk.

Seeing a GI annually will be sufficient.

.