Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

I had abdominal surgery May 6. About six weeks ago I started

I had abdominal surgery May 6. About six weeks ago I started having upper right side abdominal pain. It is gradually getting worse (7-9). There is also nausea and vomiting, tenderness to the area as well. I have had CTs and exrays as well as an EDG. Nothing has shown wrong. The only thing that helps the pain is laying down and pain pills. These only take the edge of pain off. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

- What was the condition for which you had to have abdominal surgery?

- Do you have acid reflux?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to have my gastric bypass reversed. No I do not have acid reflux.

Abdominal pain which is relieved on lying down is a classic symptom of inflammaiton of the intestinal walls with excessive gas in the gut.

As you are aware, gastric bypass causes a pouch f the stomach to be connected to the intestines - a larger part of the stomach remains unused. This part shrinks to some extent, although it still remains active. Once the surgery is reversed, this part of the stomach is used again - this may cause the tissues to becomes inflamed.

The symptoms of nausea and vomiting together with pain suggests that you could have developed gastritis - inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach

In some cases, scarring of the unused stomach may occur which will again cause pain after reversal.

Please ask your doctor to order a endoscopy of the stomach and duodenum as also an MRI of the upper abdomen to check for scars.

I hope this helps.