Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Im taking seroquel for tinnitus is making me gain

I'm taking seroquel for tinnitus is making me gain a lot of weight I really want to stop taking it. Is there a withdrawal period with this drug. I have been taking it for a little over a month.
Also what would be another drug I could ask my doctor about taking instead of seroquel

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Yes, discontinuation of Seroquel can cause withdrawal symptoms. Although it has sometimes been suggested that stopping taking Seroquel after taking it for 1 month or less may not cause withdrawal symptoms, it is still better to decrease the dose very gradually under your doctor's guidance. This is because Seroquel affects blood flow to the brain and sudden stoppage can alter this blood flow.

There is no specific drug fpr the treatment of tinnitus. The first step in treatment is identifying the cause of tinnitus and treating that cause. If no specific cause can be identified, then CBT 9Cognitive behavioral Therapy) can be tried. Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) is another treatment which uses counselling to help a person adjust to their tinnitus.

Drugs which cna help to some extent are antidepressants like Tricyclics (amitriptyline, nortriptyline) and Melatonin. You cna ask your doctor for Amitrptilline and see if it helps.

I hope this helps.