911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Sometimes when I am sitting down I get a sharp cramping type

Customer Question

Sometimes when I am sitting down I get a sharp cramping type sensation under my right breast just below my ribs. Its starts as a sharp pain and then turns to a deep cramplike feeling. My appetite is normal and I have not been sick. I work midnights and it is usually in the afternoon. I don't know if that is relevant or not. I only ever experience it when I am sitting. Lying down helps. It usually only lasts about 1-2 minutes.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

I take it you have not had time to speak with your doctor about this?

911DOC :

From your story it does not sound like a dangerous kind of pain

911DOC :

Typically sharp pain in the chest which is related to position of movement is muscle or skeletel in origin

911DOC :

'skeletal'

911DOC :

to respond place your cursor in the box below, type, and hit 'reply'

Customer:

It is not frequent pain. Happens maybe once or twice a month at most. The pain only happens when i am sitting never standing

911DOC :

almost certainly musculo-skeletal

911DOC :

but i would make sure you see your doctor at some point, simply for your annual mammography and breast exam

911DOC :

have you kept up to date on this?

Customer:

Caused by the position I am sitting?

911DOC :

yes

Customer:

Yes, keep well up to date on mammography and exams . Due to breast cancer running in the family and had to a non cancerous lump removed when I was 18

911DOC :

your chest wall contains breast tissue, many, many muscles (some of which run between the ribs), and these muscles or the cartilage in the ribs can become irritated and this is experienced as sharp, positional pain

911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

can you press on a single spot when it happens and find the source of the pain

911DOC :

?

Customer:

yes

911DOC :

that too is reassuring that this is not something dangerous

911DOC :

you do not notice any changes to your breast on that side do you?

Customer:

no none. I keep a sharp eye on lumps, changes etc.

911DOC :

THIS LINK HERE is helpful as it explains one of the possible causes of your type of chest pain. I'm not saying this is the answer to your pain, just showing you that this type of pain can easily come from muscle/bone/cartilage inflammation.

911DOC :

I'm glad you keep a sharp eye

911DOC :

have you tried motrin or any type of antiinflammatory medicine?

Customer:

No, it never really lasts longer than a few minutes.

911DOC :

okay

Customer:

Thank you , the information has been helpful in relieving worries.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician