Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have had a large lump on left side of lower abdomen for over

I have had a large lump on left side of lower abdomen for over a year. It has grown a bit in size and has become a bit uncomfortable. Have had scans, colonoscopy, barium enema, and blood work. My doctor mentioned today that the "lump" may be caused by my redundant colon. He suggested that I see the "GI" guy. He put in a request for the GI department to call me with an appointment, which may take several weeks if not months. After waiting for these tests and now hearing this....I don't need to tell you I am a bit on edge. When my colonoscopy was done over a year ago on 7/3/12 the doctor said she couldn't see too much due to a "bend". When the scan was done a few weeks later they couldn't see anything due to too much stool. With the barium enema I did the prep as instructed and wasn't clean enough, so I returned a week later after doing 2 prep kits over 2 days. My body rejected the hose twice and they were only able to get a couple limited images. Any information you can give on this redundant colon would be greatly appreciated. As I said, with my health care system it could be months before I am able to see a GI doctor. Should I be concerned?
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

No, a redundant colon is not an uncommon finding, this can be due to constipation over a long time or off and on due to diet or life style, congenital (by birth) and this basically means that the colon has an extra loop.
The only problem with a redundant loop is the lump that you feel and this can cause discomfort, the lump can also cause stool retention and fecal impaction, it can prolong the gut transit time and at worst can cause a volvulus (twist) which is a serious problem.
To avoid all these problems, you should start on a high fiber diet, add metamucil (psyllium husk) 2 table spoons thrice dailyto your diet, drink plenty of water, avoid overt physical activities until you see your GI to get a detailed diagnosis.
Hope this helps.
If you have more questions please do reply back without rating and I will be available to help.
If satisfied, please leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How would I know if a twist occured or is occuring in the redundant colon? If they have been unable to see anything due to "too much stool" on scans or a "bend" in the colonoscopy how will I know if there is a problem? Why is the lump just starting to give me discomfort over just the past 6 months when I noticed it over 4 years ago? Yes, it has gotten larger over the past 4 years.

Thanks for the reply.
When a volvulus occurs there is extreme and excruciating pain in the abdomen, constipation, abdominal distention, vomiting and all the tell tale signs of an acute abdomen or intestinal obstruction.
The lump could have been causing problems because of fecal impaction (solidified stool in the redundant loop) and that goes along with the findings during the colonoscopy and the barium study when even after bowel preparation, there was too much stool that obsured the vision.
The best way to diagnose a redundant loop is to perform a 3D CT scan of the intestines.
Hope this helps.
Best.