How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64051
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If Ive been on hydrocodone since before 2008 for chronic lower

This answer was rated:

If I've been on hydrocodone since before 2008 for chronic lower back and cervical neck pain because of DDD and am 100% disabled with Social Security, and am diabled with the US Army after 22 years of Service with lower back strain, why is it so hard for me to get scripts for hydrocodone. I am 60 years old. AM NOT addicted. Was seeing a neurologist in Greenville, SC and was on Percocet #10 at 5 a day. Before that I was on 10/500 hydrocodone for years. Have been on oxycontin ER but came off of it for the sudden death threat, I've tried MS Contin. I've moved to Michigan, but doctors here have me on 2 5 mg NORCO per day, even with all of the history I have, 2 bulging #4 and #5 Lumbar disc pressing on L and R leg nerve roots, along with the lower back strain, fibrdomyalgia, tripple cervical discectomy w/fusion, with another bulging disc now at c2. Why do the innocent have to suffer because of the dope heads? How can I get precription for the meds I NEED for pain? Harold J Collins [email protected]
Hello from JA
first of all these meds are now more highly regulated in terms of enforcement.
They are considered dangerous and highly open to abuse.
Secondly, what type of doctors are you working with at this point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a Cardiologist, I have an Internal Medicine Doctor, and I was going to a Pain Management Clinic and they are the ones who want to do the epidurals and things that do not work for me. Also, the Doctor there took me off hydrocodone and put me on Morphine? I told him it didn't work for me. I've tried PT for weeks at a time that just agrevated my symtoms and made me worse. If a neurologist in a University Hospital told me manage with the pills if I could, and wrote the scripts, why is these Drs here in Michigan acting like they are trying to cure me by taking the pain management meds away? I have extensive doctors records, mri's and CT's to prove these things. I just need a script for hydrocodone. I have been given 8 drug test and all show no over use or other drugs in my system.

They way you even talk about this does not adhere to the legal approach to pain management.
You can not just get a script because you say what works.

Now, legally, the doctor has to document that there has been an assessment and document the reasoning for the medication, and it is very strict in terms of protocol.

As a patient you can try what the doctor says, and go back and say you are in pain, that this is not working...and that will be documented too.
The pain management specialist is the one who should work this out....

So the advice here is to follow up with that doctor, do what they want and persist.

That is the only legal way around this....OR, go to another pain management doctor and try again..

Make sense?
Let me know if not.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When the pain management clinic went to the length and steps to give me a DNA study of my makeup, it shows I am missing a allele that makes me less responsive to pain meds. I believe he saw this, decided he didn't want

to write scripts for that amount of pain meds, he said so, then he with drew himself from my case. My new internist has all of my records from all doctors in SC, so everything is documented. I did NOT just go asking and demanding scripts for pain meds. How does your 9th grade education and ripping me off of $75 feel? Feel like you've done your job Doc?

But an internist is not going to be comfortable with this situation.

And on top of that you were dismissed from a practice.

So have you tried any new pain medicine doctors that have not dismissed you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are all in a so called Pain Management Group here and they say they only do injections. Sorry, but I am frustrated and in chronic pain. I want to do what is legally right, but I'll get relief so I may sleep, walk, and get out of bed with out crying, if I have to buy it off the internet. You are probably a real nice guy, but it is my experience that someone like me who has lived this problems for 15 years, knows more about it than the doctors do. This makes them feel intimidated, mad and they will just show me! This is about caring for a patient, not tit for tat. I respect you as a person, but Doctors are low on my list except the ones who did the surgery, and the Chief Neurologist at Greenville University Hospital in Greenville SC who was treating me and was the Chief and Head Surgeon of the Neurology Center there. So I am informed, but that doesn't win me a cup of coffee. How could someone let me suffer over a piece of paper. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX nice day, and who knows, maybe if you saw my films, xrays, reports, test, muscle and nerve studies, etc, plus know I am Agent Orange Certified as a Combat Soldier, 30% PTSD, you would agree. bye now

I have not disagree with you on any of your points, but have been trying to figure out how to get you to the correct doctor

However, despite this you have rated me bad service with ja and have given some specific comments above that I think you should review.

You asked a question as to why the doctors act like they do, and I have told you accurately.

You have not asked any other question but have given me a bad service rating.

I do not see an explanation for this, other than your stated frustration with your doctors which has nothing to do with me.

You DEA has classified this as a crime for US citizens to do.

So I would like you to reverse the bad service rating

But I would also like you to tell me exactly where you are in MI so I can check for docs

And let me know if there was any question you asked that was not answered
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not concerned with the DEA since I am a Certied Narcotics Dog Instructor and Trainer, but I DO reverse my rating to positive, but just don't know how. Well, you didn't answer my question. "How can I get precription for the meds I NEED for pain? Harold J [email protected]"


I would really love to find a caring GOOD Doctor to be my caretaker and monitor my health as I continue to decline. You find one like that around here and I will say, I ran into a really nice guy just like me. Now, tell me how to reverse the rating. I am in Plainwell, MI 49080 and right next door to Kalamazoo, MI.

The answer is to find the type of doctor that is caring.

To reverse the rating click a positive rating here
Then come back and let me know what city you are in and I can try to help further
DrRussMD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Plainwell, MI 49080 next door to Kalamazoo, MI where there are lots of Pain Management Doctors but they all are in the same group under one umbrella that covers practically the whole state.

What is the name of that umbrella group?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Southern Michigan Pain Management Consultants. I was going to Kalamazoo Anesthesiology Pain Clinic, Dr. Blakesly.

How about the closest big city to you and kalamazoo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Grand Rapids, MI

This is a very reliable list here

I don't think these are all part of the group you mention.

Pointers for approaching these doctors.

Find out if they handle chronic disc disease long standing.

See which offices sound positive.

Get copies of all your records. Hand them to the doctor on the first appointment even after you have filled out your previous doctors names.

Be up front with what has worked for you and what has not, but do not resist suggestions from the doctor.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

DrRussMD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you