911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

Is it weird for 3 pills of Bayer Aspirin to be unable to take

Is it weird for 3 pills of Bayer Aspirin to be unable to take away mild to moderate pain right above my right eyebrow that comes and goes, which I believe is caused by Afrin addiction/sinusitis? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 12 months ago.

911DOC :

No

911DOC :

how long and how often have you been using afrin?

Customer:

About a year and a half, give or take.

911DOC :

every day?

Customer:

Most of the time.

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

so there's a lot of misconception about afrin 'addiciton'

911DOC :

it's not that you get addicted to it in the classic sense

911DOC :

it's that when you use it all the time and then stop

911DOC :

you get a rebound phenomenon where you get all stuffed up and can't breathe well because your body is used to it

911DOC :

and when you take it away the nasal and sinus mucosa respond by swelling

911DOC :

does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes.

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

how long have you had the pain above your eyebrow that comes and goes?

Customer:

About 6 hours.

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

you said it's not constant

911DOC :

did it come on suddenly or slowly?

Customer:

Just this morning.

911DOC :

was it instantaneous or did it come on over a few minutes?

Customer:

It comes and goes sporadically, starting since this morning.

911DOC :

okay, and you haven't had this prior to today?

Customer:

I've had it before.

911DOC :

have you asked your doctor about it?

Customer:

No.

911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

so you could certainly have a sinus infeciton of the frontal sinus on the side of the headache

911DOC :

certainly a possibility

911DOC :

or you could simply have a headache

911DOC :

based on your story i am not concerned about the dangerous causes of headache like stroke or aneurysm

911DOC :

but with your use of afrin it might make sense to see your doctor and get some sinus films or a CT of your sinuses/brain to see if there is a problem that can be treated so as to relieve your headaches

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

I suppose it could also be caused by my anxiety or side effect from Buspar, but I put my money on sinusitis.

911DOC :

certainly a reasonable guess

911DOC :

and be careful with the aspirin

911DOC :

it is possible to get quite sick from too much aspirin

911DOC :

recommended doses only

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

On August 3, 2012, I had refrained from using Afrin for 2 weeks, and was about to start taking Prednisone, but before I could take my first pill of Prednisone, I got a pneumonia, and my doctor said not to take the Prednisone as long as I had the pneumonia. Anyway, the pneumonia messed me up because I started using the Afrin again, and I just wonder if I had taken the Prednisone when planned if it would have worked.

911DOC :

probably, if you are talking about being able to get off the afrin

911DOC :

would be nice to be off it and would be nice to find out if you have a sinus infection so it could be treated

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

thanks very much for your question. please feel free to request me anytime. best.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Should I be alarmed about the problem in the following link that I discussed with another expert a year and 4 months ago?

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/6gh4t-for-dr-d-love-only-dr-love-question-you.html

The last test done on this after I spoke with this expert was 6 months later with a CT Scan in September 2012, and my doctor said there was no change in the size of the cyst. My last calcium reading was between 9.5 to 9.9 about one or two months after that, which my doctor gave me an O.K. on as well. I haven't been able to go to the doctor for more blood tests or anything else because I have gotten so behind at work for taking a lot of sick leave. Thank you.

Expert:  911DOC replied 12 months ago.

It's a benign cyst so no need to worry. The only question I would have for your doctor is if the location of this cyst is near where you are having your headaches. If it is it might be worth getting this checked out again, but most likely it is not the cause of your headaches and I would NOT get surgery unless it IS the cause and the headaches become debilitating for you.

best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.