Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

I was bitten by a tick in early May and have a rash that will

I was bitten by a tick in early May and have a rash that will not go away. I also have been having migranes, and now I am having pain when urinating and pain in my testacle. A doctor put me doxcyline for seven days, will that be enough to get rid of the lyme. What can be done for the painful urination? Any help would be great because I can't get any sleep because of the pain.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

A 7 day course of Doxycycline is usually adequate to treat Lyme. But once infected with Lyme, a person may have what is known as Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome. In this case, the disease itself is cured, but some symptoms may persist - these are usually neurological symptoms.

Pain while passing urine is generally not due to Lyme or due to persistance of Lyme symptoms.

To decrease the pain you have, you can take painkillers like Ibuprofen 200 mg thrice a day. You can also take a medicine called Azo Standard. Both these medicines are available without a prescription.

I hope this helps.