911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

Last week I dropped a small pocket torch in the sink and, before

Customer Question

Last week I dropped a small pocket torch in the sink and, before thinking, grabbed it. It hadn't been used for a long time and I could see a little corrosion so I threw it away.

Since then I have had some parasthesia in my hand, plus I've experienced some clumsiness in using the hand, though it is my left and I am right handed.

I have no fever, temperature, nauseau etc. The skin feels dry and a little tight but there are no noticeable marks, no pain, plus all fingers appear to have full movement even against pressure.

I have been applying skin protectant but otherwise trying to use the hand as normal, other than flexing it at rest. Is there anything else I should be doing? I understand it could take dome time for the sensations to abate.

Thanks
Donna

33, Female, currently taking Sertraline 100mg/daily
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

I can't see any relation at all to the torch in the sink with the slight corrosion and the symptoms you seem to be experiencing.

911DOC :

I can think of no way that they could be related.

911DOC :

Standing by

911DOC :

simply type in the box below and click 'reply'

Customer: I understand an alkaline battery can leak and over time potassium carbonate is formed and there's an exothermic reaction when exposed to water. I wasn't sure if that might be a factor but it sounds like it isn't
911DOC :

no, it's not

911DOC :

you have quite a good knowledge of science

911DOC :

but there are precious few chemicals that

911DOC :

when in contact with the skin

911DOC :

will cause symptoms

911DOC :

about the only chemical I can think of

911DOC :

that can cause symptoms from brief skin contact

911DOC :

is hydroflouric acid

911DOC :

used in glass etching

911DOC :

it is quite dangerous to the touch

911DOC :

and of course there are plants that will cause allergic reactions

911DOC :

but aside from that there is precious little outside a chemistry lab that can cuase problems

Customer: Well I definitely haven't been doing glass etching! I will check in with my GP next week if it persists. Thank you!
911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

do you have any final questions for me on this subject?

Customer: No, thank you
911DOC :

very well

911DOC :

I hope you have a nice day

911DOC :

and if this has been helpful please do leave positive feedback

911DOC :

should you need me in the future

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician