Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Our adult son, 42 yrs. old, has been experiencing strange behavior

Customer Question

Our adult son, 42 yrs. old, has been experiencing strange behavior for a few months, but his problems have escalated the last few days to a point we found it necessary to try and figure out what we need to do for him. After hours of being coherent, talkative, in good humor, his behavior changes gradually, becoming increasingly more strange, slurring his words, becoming more incoherent, not making any sense and doesn't remember things he has said, or thinks he has said things he hasn't. He is on anti-depressants, medication for his rheumatoid arthritis, and blood pressure meds. We are very worried about him, but do not know where to take him to get help. We live in a very small town, and most any doctors in this area aren't in the office tomorrow. I know this isn't much information for you, but maybe you can point us in the right direction. Thank you so much.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. Can you give me more details please?

- Since when has he been exhibiting this behaviour? Did he start a new medicine at around that time? especially an antidepressant?

- Have you timed the change in his behaviour to the time he takes any of his medicines?

- What is his blood sugar level? have you had it checked when he is incoherant? Do you have diabetes in your family?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has been taking Paroxetine tablets, USP, 20 mg, one tablet 2 times a day, Lisinopril, 1 - 10mg tablet once a day, and Aleve for pain. He has been taking the Paroxetine for a few months, and didn't start exhibiting these disturbing symptoms until the last month or two, beginning with slurring his words some and looking tired or kind of doppy. Only the last few weeks have the symptoms of being incoherent and forgetful surfaced. His dad has Type 2 diabetes, and no, he has not been checked or had any blood work for at least 6 + months. Please help. Thank you.

Linda,

Thank you for your reply.

Your son's change in behaviour could be due to two conditions - he could be suffering from labile diabetes, a type of diabetes in which the blood sugar occasionally falls very low (hypoglycemia). This will cause him to be incoherent, drowsy, have difficulty in maintaining the balance of his body. He may appear drunk at this time.

Another cause could be due to conditions like dementia or psychological problems like personality disorders.

I am more inclined to think that he has diabetes because there is a family history of diabetes in your family and also because personality disorders occur very gradually and become worse over time. These disorders are not sudden within hours. But Hypoglycemia can be very sudden and occur without warning, especially if he goes without food for some time.

Please ask your son to go for a test known as GTT ( Glucose Tolerance test)

I hope this helps.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We appreciated the information the Dr. gave us, and yes, we gave him a good rating. Our son saw a doctor the following Friday AM and found out that his blood pressure was 210/120, but blood sugar was normal. His blood pressure med was increased and another one added, plus labwork which came back good, and a followup with the doctor on Monday AM. He will be seeing the doctor once a month, while monitoring his blood pressure at home and watching his diet. Again, we appreciated the doctor giving us a direction to go, and because of him, our son realized how serious this is and agreed to seek medical attention. Now he has a doctor here to follow him and help as he needs it. Thank you!

Linda,

You are welcome.