Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

I have polymyalgia rheumatica and have been prescribed prednisone

I have polymyalgia rheumatica and have been prescribed prednisone for the last 3 months at dosage- now 7 mgs daily reduced by 1 mg per month for the next seven months.
My ? is:
Is there a natural replacement for this prescription because the prednisone is causing me excessive weight gain.

Helen Friesen
Hello Helen.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am afraid that there is no natural substitute for prednisolone. But you can decrease the amount of weight you gain due to prednisolone.

Steroids like prednisolone causes weight gain by increasing your appetite as well as causing fluid retention.

To decrease your fluid retention, please take a low-sodium, high-potassium diet - cut down on your salt intake, You can also change the type of salt you take. Normal salt contains sodium and chloride. Salts containing potassium instead of sodium are available in most shops and you cna change over to that. Also avoid food with high salt content like chips and fries.

Controlling your appetite will be more difficult but you can increase the amount of exercise you do to avoid weight gain.

Weight gain due ot predisolone goes down in the six months to a year after you discontinue steroids. Since you are already tapering off, you should be able to go back to your normal weight in a short time.

I hope this helps.