Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have had post-nasal drip now for months and months and months.

I have had post-nasal drip now for months and months and months. It seems to be coming from where my ear connects to the back of my throat...like I have some sort of chronic fluid coming from my eustachian tube to the back of my throat. I have had recurrent ear infections all my life.

How could/should this be treated? I'm tired of being told to take allergy medication from doctors I don't feel are taking this seriously - i've never had allergies in my life, and taking allergy medicine doesn't do anything to make this slow down or feel any different.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello i am an ent and can help you on this. have you seen an ENT specialist for this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

You need to see an ENT specialist for this.

The most likely cause for such post nasal drip is sinus disease.

You could be having a small sinus block which is causing this post nasal drip leading to recurrent ear infections.

Eustachian tube laxity can also cause this

Ask your doctor for a CT scan of the nose and sinuses. This will help detect any cause for post nasal drip. Also ask for an Impedance audiometry test. This helps diagnose disorders of eustachian tube function.

These steps will help you find a cause for your infections.

If eustachian tube is blocked, a grommet tube in the ear can help, discuss about this.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Hello Heather,

I was trying to chat live with you.

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Jyoti - I had walked away from the computer and didn't see you were trying to chat with me. I actualy DID go to an ENT - she put the scope thing up my nose and told me to use nasonex, which my insurance won't pay for. But she said nothing about my ear.
I had an MRI done back in March for a different reason - would anything have shown up on that about my eustachian tube? I have the disk.

No, MRI wouldnt show any eustachian tube dysfunction.

You need a CT scan of the sinuses, a CT of the mastoids would also help.

Plus the impedance audiometry.

You can discuss these tests with your primary also, if anything is found here then an ENT.

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have one more question - my ENT I just found out changed my prescription to Flonase. What is flonase supposed to do to fix this?

Flonase is a steroid.

It will reduce the drip if it is due to allergy.

Will not help if there is an infection.

Will also reduce nasal and eustachian congestion.

It will be helpful for you, but these tests also need to be done.

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.