Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My wife has had severe water retention for the last 2 years.

My wife has had severe water retention for the last 2 years. Her tests come back with all the blood work and other values always on the low end of the scale but within acceptable limits. She is iron deficient (and iron pills make her sick) as well as B12 deficient. Her sodium levels are low and she has a good diet. It's not just one side of the body or arms or legs alone either. It gets worst if she exercises or in humid days. What additional tests or things can we look at to reduce the retention and get her back on the road to good health?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Thank you for your time sir

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello why do you think she has water retention? does she have edema?

Customer:

she has both pitting as well as non-pitting edema.

Customer:

she has it in her face, arms and legs. the face in the morning and arms and legs during the day or evening.

Dr. P Jyoti :

has she had renal tests like clearance tests?

Customer:

yes. they came back fine. She went to a kidney specialist as well and said everything was in good order. The only thing that came back from several tests was a slight fatty liver.

Dr. P Jyoti :

in that case there are two possibilities

Dr. P Jyoti :

almost all possibilities have been checked up in her case

Dr. P Jyoti :

as you realize she has already been checked up by many specialists and so a quick diagnosis is not possible here

Dr. P Jyoti :

however i can suggest two possibilities that you should check out with your doctor

Customer:

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

the first is lymphatic block

Dr. P Jyoti :

disorders in lymph drainage can cause edema in different parts of the body

Dr. P Jyoti :

the fact that she has non-pitting edema is significant here since water retention would cause pitting edema only

Dr. P Jyoti :

a test which can check for lymphatic drainage is lymphoscintiography

Dr. P Jyoti :

discuss this with her doctor

Dr. P Jyoti :

this needs to be ruled out

Dr. P Jyoti :

the second possibility is that it is her anemia which is causing this

Dr. P Jyoti :

anemia can lead to edema

Dr. P Jyoti :

her iron deficiency should be corrected

Customer:

anemia?

Dr. P Jyoti :

since she cannot tolerate iron orally, you should discuss with her doctor about giving her IV iron

Dr. P Jyoti :

i mean her iron deficiency

Customer:

OK.

Dr. P Jyoti :

you should discuss with her doctor about giving her IV iron

Customer:

her lymph nodes in her neck are heavy.

Dr. P Jyoti :

this can heal her from the edema

Customer:

heavy..hard

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, that can be an indication of blocked lymphatic flow

Customer:

Any other tests I can specifically suggest her doctor to do?

Dr. P Jyoti :

almost all her tests have been done

Customer:

ok.

Dr. P Jyoti :

the other important tests are cardiac function tests

Customer:

yes. we have not had those done yet and its on my list.

Dr. P Jyoti :

full heart function tests should be done since this can also cause water retention

Dr. P Jyoti :

she needs to do ECHO and stress tests

Customer:

OK.

Dr. P Jyoti :

these tests should detect any cause of retention

Dr. P Jyoti :

these tests are the ones to discuss with her doctor, along with correction of iron levels

Customer:

OK. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

One last question.

Dr. P Jyoti :

of course

Customer:

Her cortisol levels are very low. Once they pitted below the low average. Could his have any cause and effect?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes that can also be significant

Dr. P Jyoti :

low cortisol will also lead to edema

Dr. P Jyoti :

she needs to have them rechecked

Customer:

ok. 6am check is the best?

Dr. P Jyoti :

if they show low cortisol again then further testing to rule out Addison's

Customer:

anything she can do to raise those levels?

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, 6 am test and 24 hour urine collection tests

Customer:

ok.

Dr. P Jyoti :

good diet and exercise, which she is already doing

Customer:

ok. this is awesome. this gives me some good directions.

Dr. P Jyoti :

if it is low it could be addison's and needs cortisol supplementation

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Customer:

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

ok. thanks

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.