DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

If you have seasonal allergies to pollen, grass, mold, will

If you have seasonal allergies to pollen, grass, mold, will using organic hair dyes (plant based) trigger an allergic reaction?
Hello from JA
There is not a specific reason that is should.

Have you had a reaction

What is the situation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not react the first time. The second time, I got hives on the nape of my neck about two hours later. The third time, I got the same reaction, but not until a day later. I do have allergies to chemical hair dyes.
OK
So yes you can have an allergic reaction; the fact that it happened after sensitization makes this more likely.

Even if the dye is natural, it can still be processed into a synthetic compound. There can be cross reactivity with other chemical dyes and with natural compounds.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This product is "guaranteed to be chemical free", which is why I tried it. It had been 15 years since I had the reaction to chemical dyes, so i stopped coloring my hair. I was wondering if it might be caused by my seasonal allergies be active. The pollen and tree mold has been unbelievable in my area this year.
It can be.
It can also be cross reactivity with the dye.
Stop the dye and see.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, one last question. What does cross reactivity mean?
That a potential allergen in one substance is active because you are allergic to a similar allergen in another substance.

No problems
After you rate me positive here, find me by request [use my name in the title and use my request link] any time for any questions.

good luck
dt