Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I had breast cancer in 2009 with a mastectomy of right breast.

I had breast cancer in 2009 with a mastectomy of right breast. The last two days, I am having pain in my right shoulder blade and under my right breast. I did go horseback riding on three days ago and may have pulled a muscle, but there is nothing that hurts to touch or press. Obviously, my mind is going to the worst. The pain seems deep and not on the surface.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Does it get worse when you outstretch your arms or move them at shoulder?

No shortness of breath or palpitations right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried stretching out my arms, it did not hurt when I did it, but hurts more now that I have done it. Pain is moderate...6. No shortness of breath or palpitations. My fear is the breast cancer going to the bones.

It began yesterday while laying in a dental chair. Just could not get away from the pain in my shoulder blade. Today it is more under my breast...right side of breast.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Given the fact that this pain is of very short durations and started soon after riding --- the most likely possibility is of a muscle spasm.

Muscles (especially if they are flat and thin --- just like around the shoulder) need not to be painful on touch when this happens.

Recurrence of cancer and metastasis to bone would not give you localized pain, it should be widespread in all the bones. And honestly, with such a clear history (with evidence of trigger of pain) and for such a short duration i would not consider recurrence of cancer at this stage at all.

Stay relaxed.

Continue with ibuprofen in better doses 400 mg thrice daily.

Add tylenol to ibuprofen if the pain does not settle alone with ibuprofen.

Gentle massage.

Application of heating pads (one of the best muscle relaxant).

All will help.

Rarely you may need a prescription based muscle relaxant like cyclobenzaprine or tizanidine.

Stay adequately hydrated while you use these medications.

And watchfully monitor your symptoms over next 72 hours by which they should improve a lot.

If the problem persist, does not improve or gets worse beyond that, see your doctor for a clinical examination and further evaluation.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.