Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Hello, I have had my period for the last 5 days, during which

I have had my period for the last 5 days, during which I used super absorbency tampons, gradually decreasing the absorbency strength as my period progressed. Today was my last day of the period and I had in a light absorbency tamponfor about 5 hours, and had a sudden onset of nausea and diarrhea. I figured I was just not feeling well and after about 3 hours I removed the tampon.
Now about 5 hours from the onset of diarrhea and nausea, I am running a fever, but i don't have a thermom

Welcome and thank you for your question.

For toxic shock syndrome to occur, a tampon needs to be inside for at least 8 hours. This time is needed for bacteria to grow on the tampon and release toxins.

TSS is not heard of nowadays. It occurred in a particular brand of tampons ( Rely by Proctor and Gamble) which used a polyester foam and cellulose to form the tampon. This is not used nowadays but packs still carry the warning.

In your case, it is very unlikely that you have TSS. TSS not only causes fever, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea but also dizzyness due to low blood pressure and a widespread skin rash.

If you can check your blood pressure, it would be helpful.

I hope this helps.