Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and have had diarrhea off and

I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and have had diarrhea off and on since then. The last 2 days it has been constant. I have tried Pepto Bismo and anti diarrhea pills from Wal Mart and they have not helped. What else can I do at home?

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Do you notice any blood in the stool?

Mysticdoc :

Any stomach cramps, fever?

Customer :

No fever, no blood in the stool, some stomach cramps just before the diarrhea, stomach hurts way up high, just below my breasts. I do not have my gall bladder any longer so it is not that.

Mysticdoc :

thanks for your reply.

Mysticdoc :

Intestinal infection is still a possibility, a complicatino from colonoscopy.

Mysticdoc :

complication I meant.

Mysticdoc :

If that is the case, you will need antibiotics --home treatment will not help.

Mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be the excess bile acid in the intestine.

Mysticdoc :

Due to the absence of gallbladder, bile acid level increases in the intestine-- can cause persistent diarrhea.

Mysticdoc :

Calcium and vitamin D supplementation may help in that case.

Mysticdoc :

Bile acid sequestrants like cholesyramine or colestipol can be tried if no infection.

Mysticdoc :

Given the prolonged symptoms and non response to over the counter remedies, should prompt you to discuss the above with your doctor.

Customer :

OK, I have called my DR. but she has not responded. What can I do about excess bile acid. Perhaps I should try that first before I see my DR. My gall bladder was removed in the 1990's so the bile acid problem should have shown up before now. I take calcium and vitamin D supplements for osteopena (sp?). Would it benefit me to try Kaopectate?

Mysticdoc :

the bile acid problem can start at anytime especially following the stress of colonoscopy.

Mysticdoc :

infection is more likely though given the relation to the procedure.

Mysticdoc :

You may try kaopectate meanwhile.

Mysticdoc :

If you are not able to reach out to your doctor, you should consider going to the ER by tomorrow.

Customer :

Thank you. DB

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD

hello

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

This is not a bile acid problemInfection or perforation are complications of colonoscopy, or simply an inflammation of the bowel.

Call your scoping doctor right now.

Calcium and vitamin D are not treatments for bile acid problems.Clear the kaopectate with your doctor. Have an exam today even if you have to go to the ER

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.