Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been having lower abdominal pains for the past three

I have been having lower abdominal pains for the past three days. the first day was absolutely awful, constant very sharp pains lasting for about five seconds at a time. the second/third days werent as bad but i still had the pains every once in a while, especially after i ate a meal or laid down. I started my period on the second day. Ive also never felt these types of pains before. what could it be?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The sharp pains of short duration may have been intestinal spasms as one possible cause....

Customer:

i dont understand?

Anthony Bray MD :

It would usually be due to an irritation such as a gastroenteritis if that were your cause though and this would usually be accompanied by diarrhea...

Anthony Bray MD :

With it being low abdomen it might have been related to an ovarian cyst...

Customer:

i had diarrhea the first day but thats all

Customer:

and the pains still persist

Customer:

what are the symptoms and causes of a cyst?

Anthony Bray MD :

This type would typically be associated with a gastroenteritis IF this were your cause though and diarrhea would be expected...

Anthony Bray MD :

It is possible that the pain may have been associated with an ovarian cyst >> the lower abdomen makes me include pelvic causes as well...

Customer:

so if it were gastroenteritis, would one day of diarrhea and a few days of sharp pains be a normal thing? im just not sure because ive never had either that or a cyst before

Anthony Bray MD :

It could be related to internal bands of scar tissue that formed in the past (most typically caused by prior abdominal surgery or pelvic surgery) Endometriosis may cause infections as well.... a prior GI infection might do this.... the loops of bowel might pull against the bacnd of scar tissue and cause the problem...

Anthony Bray MD :

It may have been caused by a volvulus that later cleared up on its own. This is a twist of a postion of the bowel. A loop of bowel might have temporarily twisted in itself and then corrected...

Customer:

so it could be a lot. what would you recommend? should I wait a few more days and see if the pains persist, or should i go get tests done? and if you do recommend tests, what should I have done?

Anthony Bray MD :

If the pain has gone away and does not return as before than I think your are "home free" and in this case I would see very little likley benefit from medical evaluation....

Customer:

my stomach also feels really hard and is sensitive when I press on it, I forgot to tell you that

Anthony Bray MD :

If on the other hand you have recurring or worsening symptoms then see your doctor.

Customer:

The only thing that reoccurring are the sharp pains, its the same level of pain but just not quit as much as the first day

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

ok thanks