911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I hurt my knee playing soccer 4 weeks ago, and I am now able

I hurt my knee playing soccer 4 weeks ago, and I am now able to walk on it. I am able to move it forward and backwards without any problems, but movement to the left and right feels a bit strange. Also, when I raise knee whilst sitting, it feels week, and almost like it is dangling.

My injury occurred when I tried to clear the football, and another player came down studs up, my foot was open as if trying to side foot the ball, and I came off second best. I wasn't able to walk properly for a few days, and even now, its not 100%. It almost feels weak on the inside of my right knee, and there is like a burny/itchy pain heading down into the back of my calf. Everybody says that I must go and see a knee specialist, as I may need an op, but I don't have medical aid, or the finances if I do need it. And I am scared! Does it sound serious, and is there a possibility that I could need an op?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

Yes, absolutely, you need to see a doctor. At a minimum you need a good physical exam (best done by a knee specialist) and an Xray.

911DOC :

The knee specialist can probably get the diagnosis by an exam and Xrays alone.

911DOC :

And yes, it does sound like you could easily have a ligament or meniscal disruption.

911DOC :

The chances that you need an operation are hard to estimate, but based on your symptoms I would think they would be fairly high, especially if you wish to return fully to sporting activities.

911DOC :

Based on your symptoms I would suspect a meniscal tear, a lateral collateral ligament tear, a quadriceps injury, or even a cruciate ligament tear.

911DOC :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that knee injuries are difficult to diagnose based on symptoms alone and you absolutely need specialty care as soon as you can get it.

911DOC :

Some money invested now is money wisely invested so that you may recover completely.

911DOC :

It is important to get this evaluation quickly.

911DOC :

You are in a time window now where an operation, if needed, could be performed as the initial swelling from the injury has likely resolved, and the sooner an operative problem is corrected the better the prognosis for full recovery.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.