Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Yesterday, i fell on concrete, and now, every time i open my

Yesterday, i fell on concrete, and now, every time i open my mouth, the jaw on the left side hurts. What should i do?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Is there any swelling over the affected area?

Bruise?

Any treatment taken so far?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd rate the pain a 6. There doesn't seem to be a bruise, but the cheek here the jaw is does hurt a bit at the touch. No treatment so far.

Thank you very much for the useful information Richard.

Most likely this is a result of trivial trauma to the temporomandibular (jaw) joint, or its associated structures (like the muscles which move this joint).

Yes rest is fine, but along with that you need anti-inflammatory drugs.

Take Motrin or Aleve which will not reduce the ongoing inflammation, but will also help relieve the pain to a great extent.

Apply heating pads to the affected area (heat itself is one of the best muscle relaxants and gives a soothing effect).

Take soft diet (so that you dont have to chew the food forcibly).

See how you respond to these measures in next 48 hours.

If the problem persist, does not improve or gets worse, you need to see your doctor for a clinical examination and X-rays of the joint to make sure there is nothing wrong like a fracture (which can be minute/hairline) and can continue to give you pain due to impaired healing unless treated otherwise.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.