Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I have regular (2 - 3 times a week) sinus related headaches

I have regular (2 - 3 times a week) sinus related headaches which I wake up with and last until mid afternoon. I have seen a specialist ENT who said i have a deviated septum and put me on a nasal spray about 3 months ago, it has not relieved my headaches, i had a really bad one this week. I have an appointment to go back, is there any surgery / permanent relif i can get?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello. If your septum is deviated and causing obstructive symptoms in some cases severe enough, yes there is surgery that can be done that if deemed medically necessary is covered by insurance.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If your symptoms are refractory to medical treatment, then surgical treatment is considered, but that would be dependent upon their personal reviewing of your CT of the sinuses, which if not done yet would need to be done before any consideration for a surgical treatment would be discussed.

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Is it a major surgery, and is there a high success?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

For a simple problem such as a deviated septum as the only cause of symptoms, then yes it is fairly routine and less complicated than actually working on drainage problems from the individual sinuses themselves. However no surgery is without potential complication from both the surgery itself, anesthesia infection etc.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You would need a CT of the sinuses first though

Customer:

Im told there is no polyps, i assume thats good?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

for both diagnosis and possibly surgical planning protocol. But obviously that is up to your ENT. Yes that is good.

Customer:

Ok thank you. I just had a particularly bad ache today and I have 2 weeks before appointment.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

At this point, seeing if you can get in to an earlier appointment/cancellation may not be the worst idea.

Customer:

I have tried but my doctor is on vacation

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Other than over the counter seasonal allergy medication, and a humidifier, any other treatment would have to be prescription.

Customer:

Should any over-the-counter pain killers work better than another for such issues? I gennerally try not to take anything but when its bad I sometimes need to

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

For headaches, alleve and tylenol can help with sinus headaches.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Tylenol makes a sinus formulation.

Customer:

ok great thanks

Customer:

Last question, would the sinus surgery be a general anesthetic

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes

Customer:

ok thanks Dr.

Customer:

Have a good evening

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you want to discuss this more please feel free. If you accept my answer, please choose accept / 3-5 rating.

Customer:

Thank you. Good night