Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

If I have to take a urine/blood test would over the counter

If I have to take a urine/blood test would over the counter melatonin show up differently that naturally produced melatonin?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No it will not show up on a drug screening test or alter your results.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I answer your question?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you want to discuss this more please feel free. If you accept my answer, please choose accept / 3-5 rating.

Customer:

Hi there. Thanks for the quick response. I'm taking MSLT test on saturday and since this is a sleep study, I think they would be looking for that. They made the comment that they will be testing FTP verify I don't have a turning extrI in my system. So I'm curious as to if they can tell if my meletonin levels are natural or not. Is the commercial kind an exact replica of the over the counter of is it off by a molecule of some sort.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No, over the counter melatonin would not show up differently , however for your own medical benefit it would be best for them to know honestly what medications/supplements you are taking.

Customer:

Ok. Last question. I read online that the amount that u buy over the counter is wayyyyy more per pill that your body naturaly produces. they know I take it. But I have to stop taking everything (that included) 2 weeks before the sleep study so I can have a "clean system". But my sleep pattern is so wack that if I don't I don't know how I'm gonna get the rest I need to function and make it to work. So I wanna take it so I can function but also not raise red flags cuz I was told to stop.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Does your physician know that you are taking over the counter melatonin?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Because taking this test while still on exogenous (not produced by your body) melatonin will provide skewed results that will lead you to be improperly diagnosed and treated.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok, saw that you said "they know i take it"

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Taking a dose of 1-3mg will raise your melatonin by 1-20 times normal levels (dependent upon the specific individual)

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

so even a fraction of an over the counter supplement could potentially skew your results by a few multiples

Customer:

My test starts on Saturday night at 7:30 (when I report to the lab). But I want to take it Thursday night so I can get some rest and function on Friday. I wasn't sure if I would have any extra lingering In my system that would raise flags on Saturday because it would show up different or the count would be too high for what we produce naturally. I won't tke it Friday. Just Thursday night so I can make it through friday's normal activities.

Customer:

Ok justbust just saw ur answer. By me skipping a day before the test would that be enough time to allow the levels to fall so I won't skew the test?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The half life of melatonin is under an hour. And by the general rule of 5 half life, it would be considered out of your system by within a day. However, having taken it within the past days would still augment how your body naturally responds as far as its melatonin production, therefore, even if your last dose were out of your system, the body's natural response would be improperly reflected upon your test by not stopping it as was recommended.

Customer:

Sigh. ok. I'll try my best not to take it after wed night then. thanks so much for your answer :-)