Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

I just learned that according to family legend my great-grandfather

I just learned that according to family legend my great-grandfather died of an enlarged heart. However, no one else in my family (going back to my grandfather) has had any heart problems. My grandfather died in his eighties of pneumonia and my dad is 55 and doing pretty fine.

1)Am I at risk for something?
2)Is it urgent that I get tested?
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

I'm sorry about your great grandfather

1)I see no concern here. Your great grandfather may have died from something that is easily treatable today. I wouldn't worry about it.

2)No. Just go for your normal checkups. That is all that needs to be done

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. He died at young age (in his thirties), so I was worried it was something genetic. But then again, this was back in 1931, so who knows what he had.

As a 21 year old male, is there any point where I should get my heart looked at? Or is that many years away?

It was so long ago and you are so far removed from it that I wouldnt worry. Just normal checkups
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)