Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

I just found out that my great-grandfather died of an enlarged

I just found out that my great-grandfather died of an enlarged heart. His son (my grandfather) died in his eighties of pneumonia and my dad is 55 and doing pretty fine. Am I at risk and should I get checked out?
Welcome to Just Answer.Some forms of heart enlargement like Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy are genetic in nature and are passed down the family.Getting a Echocardiography and a ECG done in such cases will rule out any genetic or congenital defect in the heart.It would be prudent to rule out this problem since you have a family history of cardiac disease.You can discuss this with your doctor who will guide you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was my concern. However, he is the only one in my family to have had a heart attack. From what I know, it is extremely uncommon for such defects to skip two generations, right?