Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have been taking keflex for 6 days now for a sinus infection.

I have been taking keflex for 6 days now for a sinus infection. However I had a sinus headache and am still not feeling so goos. I have nothing coming from my nose or throat. 3 years ago I had a sinus surgery and after when I had a sinus infection, yellow stuff came out of my nose. Do you think that I have blocked sinuses again that the antibiotic won't take care of. I am supposed to see the doctor on Wednesday. Should I see him soones?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Do you have any sympXXXXX XXXXXke nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fever etc?

Do you feel more pain or pressure if you bend your head forward?

Where exactly is the headache?

What are you taking for pain?

I am an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist and can help you.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No nasal discharge or fever.i had pain in my cheeks and under my eye before I went to the doctor 6 days ago when he put me on keflex. Last night I had the headache that I usually get on the top of my forehead?i took Advil. I am seeing the doctor on Wednesday. Do you think that the keflex is helping even though I have no discharge?

Linda Savenor, thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. The pattern of pain you have described is completely consistent with sinus problem. In the absence of throat or nose symptoms, it is possible to have sinus infection. Keflex should have helped you but since it has not so far, this means that probably you need a change in antibiotic. In such sinus infections where other antibiotics are not working well, Clarythromycin is an excellent choice so your doctor can prescribe that. Moreover till you visit your doctor i have few suggestions for you.
1. OTC (over the counter) tab aleve twice daily is very good pain killer and can be tried.
2. Take Steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily. It is likely to be effective.
3. take OTC tab Claritin once daily.
Hopefully you will feel much better soon, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think that I should go earlier than Wednesday or wait till my appointment on Wednesday. Sometimes does a person need another surgery.?

Thank you for getting back to me. You should try my suggestions and if you feel some improvement then you can wait till Wednesday. At least give 24 hours to my suggestions. Yes at times surgery is done more than once for sinuses but in your case, just one sinus infection is not enough to go for surgery. Surgery is required for recurrent sinus infections so please don't stress yourself, you are going to be ok with medicines. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.