jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience

i have two swollen spots on my pelvis not sure what it can

i have two swollen spots on my pelvis not sure what it can be.
Category: Medical
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.

jbmd :

Hi--I'd like to help you. Where on your pelvic area are these swollen spots?

jbmd :

Are they tender to touch? Soft or hard?

jbmd :

how big approximately?

Customer:

between the penis and hip not sure what that area is called. They are tender to touch and just recently the skin is breaking apart. they are about the size of a quarter one is a little smaller

jbmd :

So they would be in the "groin crease", the area where the leg joins the body and that creases up when you sit, right?

Customer:

yes

jbmd :

Do you have any discharge or pain in your testicles or penis or the scrotal area?

Customer:

none

Customer:

they itch a little

Customer:

not sure if its just cause the skin is irritated

jbmd :

The most likely thing these swollen lumps would be are lymph glands/nodes. Are they on both sides or just one?

jbmd :

It could be--if they are eroding the skin

Customer:

both sides parallel to each other

jbmd :

There are lymph glands, like the ones on your neck that get big with strep throat, all over your body. They typically feel like firm fish-flesh under the skin but can abscess and get very soft like there's liquid inside.The groin is a common place for them to swell but they don't usually get bad enough to erode the skin. How long have you had them?

jbmd :

Have you been sexually active?

Customer:

about two weeks

Customer:

no

jbmd :

Never active? Do you have glands swollen anywhere else: neck, armpits? Do you have abdominal pain/discomfort/fullness?

jbmd :

And they are increasing in size over the two weeks? Any fevers, chills, aching, joint swelling?

jbmd :

Fatigue?

jbmd :

(I want to make this as much like a doctor visit as possible since obviously I can't examine or treat you or replace local care--just want to give advice to help you get proper care at your local doctor)

jbmd :

Any skin sores or lumps or discolored areas especially on the legs?

Customer:

Not active recently with a partner. haven't noticed any other swollen areas. no pain or fullness that is unusual. they have maintaned the same size

Customer:

no fever chills or aching

Customer:

nor fatigue

jbmd :

Some diseases don't have to be gotten recently. Some can linger about. Did you ever have a sore particularly a painless sore anywhere that went away itself?

Customer:

nothing on the legs that i noticed

jbmd :

And nothing ever on the genitals, right?

Customer:

not that i recall

Customer:

nope

Customer:

I rarely get sick and haven't for the last 6 months

jbmd :

Okay. It's good news that you have no constitutional symptoms, no symptoms like flu (a non-specific viral finding), joint pains or aches, skin sores, fevers, etc.

Customer:

is there a non-prescription cream i can use to remove it

jbmd :

No topical cream will treat them if they are indeed lymph glands as they are under the skin. You might need antibiotics systemically to reach them. Good news that they don't seem to be spreading to other lymph glands. It they were not getting worse, I'd just watch them after the testing But especially if they are pushing their way through the skin, they are a possible sign of infection and I think you should be tested for some diseases

Customer:

okay so i should go to a local doctor to get the test done

jbmd :

Is this what they look like?

jbmd :

Definitely go and get some tests to make sure you are clear of anything, especially since there is so much that will treat any problem now.

Customer:

Didn't find any that look similar and i will at least i know what it is in some sense thank you

jbmd :

You're so welcome. Make sure that even silent infections like HIV are tested for.

jbmd :

If you have any more questions after this closes, I'll still answer them. You need to be healthy and not worried.

Customer:

okay thank you

jbmd :

Take care!

jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience