Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

hi I am a 37 year old female who for the past two weeks has

hi I am a 37 year old female who for the past two weeks has been experiencing a very tight throat sensation it almost feels as though something is stuck in there. It all bega with an episode of bad reflux after a heavy meal. I have been to my GP and she feels the throat sensation is due to acid reflux, she put me on 1 20mg capsule of omeprazole per day- my question is can this awful feeling in my throat really be due to acid reflux and if so how long until my throat is healed or should I make an appointment with a specialist for further evaluation. By the way I seem to have little to no problems in regards XXXXX XXXXX and drinking.

Dr. Abid :

Hi there. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me since how long you have acid reflux disease?

Dr. Abid :

Do you have bitter taste in mouth?

Dr. Abid :

Please provide me info....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had mild heartburn for a while not sure exactly how long- actually had a bitter sour taste two weeks prior where I felt like I had regurgitated food- I also have been under a vast amount of stress lately and do experience anxiety can this tight throat feeling be linked to anxiety

Thanks for info.....
It has been seen that damage to cells in the lower esophagus from acid exposure leads to formation of scar tissue. The scar tissue narrows the food pathway, causing difficulty swallowing and yes acid reflux can present with tight sensation in throat because of inflammation/irritation of throat secondary to acid.
Second stress/anxiety/or depression can present with tightness in throat and difficulty in swallowing and feeling of lump called globus hystericus.
As you have history of heart burn so you may need proper treatment for acid reflux as you are on one 20 mg capsule Omeprazole which is not sufficient to treat acid reflux.
You should get prescription strength capsules of Omeprazole or Lansoprazole or Esomeprazole along with prokinetic drugs.
I will suggest you to once consult Gastro dr for proper prescription and follow up so that your symptoms improve and you get relief.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX you good health.
Please leave positive feedback for me.