Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I have a small hard lump on the upper rear side of my inner

I have a small hard lump on the upper rear side of my inner ankle bone. It is painless and does not move, almost like bone. I am a 54 year old woman who runs every day. Should I be concerned that this is cancer?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

If the lump is hard, does not move --- then yes it is originating from the bone.

Since there is no pain in the lump, no bleeding, ulceration of overlying skin, or no massive growth of the lump, the possibility of this being a cancer is extremely unlikely.

Such kind of lumps are usually bony spurs, or cysts which are benign in nature.

However, its better to have this examined by your doctor as well to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong, which will help put your mind at ease.

An Orthopedic surgeon is the best person to help you in this situation, but you can see your GP first, and ask for necessary investiagtions like X-ray of the bone. If in doubt, he can refer you to an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation.

Stay relaxed.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since I just noticed it, I don't know if it has grown. It is about the size of a pea right now. Should I have it looked at right away? I am very concerned that it might be bone cancer.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

This is not an emergency situation honestly.

You can wait and try to get an appointment with the orthopedic doctor, and meanwhile just watchfullmy monitor this for any increase/decrease/persistance in size --- and this information will be helpful for the doctor as well when you see him.

Once again, the possibility of this being a cancer is extremely unlikely.

Stay relaxed.

Kindest Regards.