Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

About three months ago it seems as though I came down with

About three months ago it seems as though I came down with altzheimers. Can you get it quickly or does it usually come on slowly?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

What are your symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Any other known medical illness?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only symptom is that I have been tired all the time since about that time - don't sleep,just tired and often close my eyes. I haven't had any tests - told my primary Dr. over the phone and she sent me prescrilption for Namenda. I have High B>P> under control, heart conditions ( CAD,PAD and something else). I just don't like always feeling tired. I rest but nnever go to sleep and lately have taken a sleeping pill at night.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXXa,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disease that slowly destroys memory and thinking skills.It is the most common form of dementia among older people. Dementia is a brain disorder that seriously affects a person's ability to carry out daily activities.

Memory problems are one of the first signs of Alzheimer’s disease.As the disease progresses, they may become confused, and frequently forget the names of people, places, appointments and recent events. Mild personality changes, such as less spontaneity, apathy, and a tendency to withdraw from social interactions, may occur early in the illness.

As you have only one symptom of being tired all the time-this may be due to alzheimer's disease but final diagnosis can be made by your neurologist only.Also being tired/insomnia can be due to various other causes.

Age is the greatest risk factor for dementia.There's no specific test today that confirms you have Alzheimer's disease.

There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, although medication is available that can slow down the development of the condition in some people.Namenda reduces the actions of chemicals in the brain that may contribute to the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.It may improve memory, awareness, and the ability to perform daily functions.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that I advice you to consult your neurologist for the tests so as to know the exact underlying cause & then complete treatment will be done accordingly.
Also causes of insomnia & being tired all the times are to be ruled out.

And answer for your initial question is that usually it comes very slowly & progress slowly with age.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for using again just answer website.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXXa,

As you are online,I would like to tell you that Alzheimer’s disease is a slow disease that progresses in three stages—

1.Stage -1 -an early, preclinical stage with no symptoms

2.Stage 2-A middle stage of mild cognitive impairment

3.Stage 3 -Final stage of Alzheimer’s dementia.

Although medical science & scholars still don’t know how Alzheimer’s disease begins, it seems likely that damage to the brain starts 10 years or more before problems become obvious.

Hope this additional info had helped.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
A few things here are very concerning1)Your symptoms are not at all typical Alzheimer’s disease2)your doctor diagnosed you and gave you medicine without even seeing you3)fatigue could be from any number of things but not usually Alzheimer’s. Also, if you are able to get online and use a computer and ask this question then you like do not have Alzheimers. There are lots of other things that can cause fatigue that should be checked…Thyroid disorders, medications, sleep apnea to name a few. I think this needs further investigation for sure and I doubt Alzheimers. Also, Alzheimers doesn’t just come on suddenly. It’s gradual over time.
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXXa,

As explained in previous post,other causes of insominia & tiredness/fatigue should be ruled out like:hypothyroidism,sleep apnea,narcolepsy, major depressive disorders, chronic mononucleosis,depression, bipolar affective disorders, schizophrenia,autoimmune disease, hormonal disorders.

Again,as you have not consulted neurologist so far,I advice you to make an appointment first so as to rule out the other causes as explained above.You may need a series of tests & examination accordingly.

Please use reply button if you still have any questions is mind.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert