Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I have had numbness above my knee, only slightly more to the

I have had numbness above my knee, only slightly more to the right, not on the outside part of the leg, for about 4 years. Recently, the numbness has gotten worse. I'm not completely numb, just feels numb under the surface of my right upper leg. My internist has said not to worry. Should I see a neurologist to rule out something serious like MS? A friend recently told me that I should.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : I think that you are exactly right!
Anthony Bray MD : It may be an impingement of a superficial cutaneous nerve causing this. It may be ee
Anthony Bray MD : It may be related to spinal nerve root level compression.
Anthony Bray MD : A more serious process such as MS should be ruled out.
Anthony Bray MD : i agree with your thought to see a neurologist about this symptom.
Anthony Bray MD : i hope that it is not anything serious ...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards ,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Thank you. Could I have this for this many years if this was MS? it is not painful, just occasionally tingling with certain stretching kinds of movements.

Anthony Bray MD : Yes MS may present in many many different possible can stay stable for long periods of time ( years) and suddenly worsen or new symptoms appear. So that is possible. I am by no means saying that the cause of the numbness is likely to be MS . I think a radiculopathy ( pinched nerve in the back) is much more likely. I do agree however that consulting a neurologist is advised!!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Would An MRI be the test to rule out MS?

Anthony Bray MD : Yes a MRI of the brain is the best evaluation for MS

Thank you so much.

You are very welcome. Good luck to you . I hope everything turns out well.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD