Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

At what point should a stage four cancer patient with lung

At what point should a stage four cancer patient with lung cancer, liver cancer, spine cancer and bone cancer in both legs and three spots on the spine, not fly in an airplane?

The children want him to fly from Atlanta to Chicago Ill to a clinic for changing his food intake. The patient is this night impacted as a result of all the pain medications he is presently taking. Severe pain this day. Is it wise to allow him to fly on Monday and be gone for three days to a clinic in Ill?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Customer:

Good evening Doctor

Customer:

My brother's pain is a 9-10 this day.

Customer:

That is with a morophine patch

Anthony Bray MD : It sounds that the immediate problem of the impaction should be treated and then he could fly if needed. He sounds to have a terminal condition unfortunately. Flying would not have a likely impact on his survival. If he is currrenty impacted then this might be relieved with a series if two Fleets enemas. This would be worth a try. Sometimes patients needs medical treatment as through the ER for an impaction. I would not advise that he fly if he does not yet have this problem treated.
Anthony Bray MD : If he has the impaction treated and no immediate problem then I think it ok for him to travel. It sounds to be a short term plan with this clinic and therefore not in itself high risk. I understand that this patient is at high risk in general no matter what. He should be accompanied by a family member at all times I would advise.
Customer:

Yes, I failed to indicate we had him in the ER from 200 PM until 500 PM this day for enema treatments, but the 600 PM and 800 PM report to me is that he is still in sever pain in the ab area as well as lower back. (lower back is one area the cancer is located also.)

Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer:

This clinic is a one day (8) hour evaluation and then an over night stay and back to Georgia.

Anthony Bray MD : With his severe pain and question of partially treated impaction I think that immediate follow up at his current location would be indicated.....
Customer:

Anthony you have been most helpful. I meet with his three girls tomorrow and just wanted to be on solid gound. I understand them wanting to explore every possible avenue for their father. Thank you doctor.

Anthony Bray MD : if he can be reasonably stabilized then he should be able travel but your description of his severe pain sounds that he would not yet be able to travel....
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome! Let me know if you have further questions or have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer:

Yes, this is true and in the next 48 hours I'll try to fill that void with him and assist anyway I may be allowed. Again thank you sir.

Anthony Bray MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice