Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I fell and hit my left side of my back ( almost under my arm)

I fell and hit my left side of my back ( almost under my arm) with a chair. According to the z rays there ere 2 broken ribs. I am concerned I may have injured my spleen. Should I ask for a ct scan or an MRI? I am taking ultram but having diss icily urinating. Is this serious? Thank you

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

How much time has elapsed since it happen?

Do you have abdominal pain and distension?

Constipation?

Feel dizzy?

Pale?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My injury happened Wednesday July 3. I have pain under my breast and costal pain and pain below the front left ribcaga.. No dizZyness. No constipation

Thank you very much for the useful information Sylvia.

Injured/ruptured spleen is a surgical emergency and if not diagnosed and treated immediately can lead to serious symptoms and complications including death with in hours.

Since this trauma happened few days back, and you do not have any symptoms of peritonitis or intra-abdominal bleed (such as tender distended abdomen, absolute constipation, pallor, fall in blood pressure and sepsis ---- which is the usual course of events when one get splenic rupture), i do not believe that you have any such injury at this point.

Ultram is a good pain medicine but one of its common side effects is urinary retention ---- so that might be the main reason for the urinary problems you have.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

And talk to your doctor again discussing all the details i have mentioned to chalk out further management plan that suits best to your needs.

Your doctor might shift you from ultram to other pain medicines like Motrin or Aleve or Tylenol or combination of any of these.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this does not sound serious at all.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need a CT scan to see I'd my kidney is injured?

Thank you sylvia for the question.

Kidney injury present with similar symptoms (which i mentioned earlier) as the splenic rupture.

Moreover, any kind of injury to the urinary tract (including kidneys) presents with blood in the urine first.

You do not have any such symptoms, so i would consider a CT totally uncessary at this point (both for spleen or kidneys --- as you suspect).

Stay relaxed.

Kindest Regards.