911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

I injured my knees. I fell four feet onto concrete. Now my

I injured my knees. I fell four feet onto concrete. Now my knees are swollen and the right knee has a fever.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

So the concern here is for either injury to the bony parts of the knee...

911DOC :

the patella (kneecap)

911DOC :

the ligaments in and around the knee

911DOC :

or the tendons attaching muscles to the knee and leg

911DOC :

the swelling is worrisome because it means you did some damage

911DOC :

hopefully this is just soft tissue swelling and you are right to use ice

911DOC :

but when you say the right knee has a fever

911DOC :

I take it that the knee is, perhaps, red and warm to the touch

911DOC :

this makes getting seen very important indeed

911DOC :

because this might indicate infection either of the skin over the knee or the knee joint itself

911DOC :

if this were just swelling alone and you could walk I would think it reasonable to wait a bit and use ice and ibuprofen for the pain

911DOC :

but with the added problem of 'fever' in the knee it is VERY important that you get seen today by a doctor

911DOC :

this probably means going to an urgent care or ER

911DOC :

an urgent care that has the ability to do Xrays would be fine

911DOC :

but I think waiting at home is a bad idea

911DOC :

as the fever in your knee could mean that this will get worse quickly and that the sooner you get this taken care of the more likely you are to avoid serious complications.

911DOC :

I do not see you in chat so am going to switch to Q and A.

911DOC :

if you have questions about my answer please ask them and click 'reply' and I will get back with you shortly

911DOC :

but for now find a place that is open today that can see you and do and exam and get xrays of your knees

911DOC :

be well, and thanks for your quesiton.

911DOC :

positive feedback always appreciated.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.