Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My 30 year old daughter has a staph infection on her leg that

My 30 year old daughter has a staph infection on her leg that is 10 days old. She got it at an MMA gym. Her doctor is treating it only with Bactrim and it is getting worse-her leg is swollen with red streaks going up and down-the leg hurts to walk on-she gets pus out of the wound. The doctor cut out some of the infections and put in a drain today but still won't change the medicine even tho she has asked and pushed the subject. She also is shunted for hydrocephalus and I worry that the infection may get in the tubes and move towards her brain. What medication combination would be most effective? Thanks,XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Sorry to hear about your daughter's foot.

Mysticdoc :

Based on the severity of the infection, your daughter needs IV antibiotics immediately.

Mysticdoc :

Vancomycin is commonly used to cover for MRSA.

Mysticdoc :

The gram negative infection can be covered by the Ertaoenem ( Invanz).

Mysticdoc :

IV antibiotics should be continued for 5 to 7 days at least to control the infection, then can be switched to oral antibiotic.

Mysticdoc :

At this point, it is better to go to the emergency room for further evaluation.

Mysticdoc :

An infectious disease specialist should be consulted at the earliest.

Customer:

Can't she just have an oral cocktail of antibiotics?

Mysticdoc :

no that will not work as you it is not working.

Mysticdoc :

oral antibiotic does not have good penetration power as it depends on the intestinal absorption.

Mysticdoc :

In this case, IV antibiotics are the only and the life saving solution.

Mysticdoc :

Given her increased risk of shunt infection this can become life threatening if not tackled properly by an experienced team of doctors.

Customer:

Thank you - we will show this to her doctor. If he is still non-compliant, then we will take her to the emergency room.

Mysticdoc :

This is based on my vast experience in infectious disease.

Mysticdoc :

Please do take care of this issue at the earliest.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD