Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have many symptoms of gluten sensitivity. I avoided all gluten

I have many symptoms of gluten sensitivity. I avoided all gluten for three weeks, then ate large quantities of gluten in one day and experienced no worsening of symptoms. As a result of that I assumed that I was not sensitive to gluten. Was I right in assuming this or not?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

Sure

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello, could you descirbe he symptoms that you had before?

Customer:

Heartburn, nausea, indigestion, bloating, gas, headacheand

Customer:

Joint pain

Customer:

My brother has celiac disease but I was tested ann

Dr. P Jyoti :

well, the fact that you got relief on a gluten free diet does indicate that you are lilkely to have gluten sensitivity

Dr. P Jyoti :

the fact that you did not have any symptoms after taking a large amount of gluten on a single day is not significant

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is because gluten sensitivity causes disease chronically

Customer:

My brother has celiac disease but they say I dont

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, coeliac disease is at the upper end of the gluten sensitivity scale

Dr. P Jyoti :

you may not have coeliac disease itself but a milder form of gluten sensitivity

Dr. P Jyoti :

as i was saying, the fact that you did not have symptoms after consuming a lot of gluten in one day does not rule it out

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is because gluten sensitivity is a chronic disease

Customer:

Do you believe there is such a thing as leaky gut?

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, i do not

Dr. P Jyoti :

i feel it is not medically scientific

Dr. P Jyoti :

no proper evidence has been shown for this pathologically and till some such evidence is shown i do not propose to accept this hypothesis

Customer:

I see. Is there a test for gluten sensivity ?

Dr. P Jyoti :

no, not directly

Dr. P Jyoti :

there are tests for the upper end of the spectrum, coeliac disease, as you know

Dr. P Jyoti :

but for the milder cases of gluten sensitivity, there are no lab tests

Dr. P Jyoti :

the best test is what you are doing - to have a gluten free diet for a month and then see if the symptoms go away

Dr. P Jyoti :

if they do so, then it is safe to assume that you have gluten sensitivity

Customer:

Would you suggest I have further teasting such as upper, lower gi?

Dr. P Jyoti :

continue on this gluten free diet

Dr. P Jyoti :

i would suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist

Dr. P Jyoti :

they are the appropriate specialists for this

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

a gastroenterologist can do further testing like colonoscopy or upper GI endoscopy if you need them

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

wish you good health and a quick recovery

Dr. P Jyoti :

continue the gluten free diet since this helps you

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

I have no furthrr qs

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Hello Gail,

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.