Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

In February 2002, I bent down (squat style) and began to move

In February 2002, I bent down (squat style) and began to move a pallet that had a 700 lbs transmission on it. As I began to move it, I got an extremely sharp stabbing pain in my lower left abdomin like a tearing feeling. It dropped me to me knees. I could not stand up all the way, and a got light headed, and got cold and clammy. I immediately felt like I had to have a bowl movement. I went into the bathroom, and went I sat on the toilet, and the toilet filled with blood. I almost passed out. Being a stubborn rock head I waited a few days to go the doctor. And for almost a month I would get chills, clammy, and dizzy as I kept passing large amounts of blood. The left side of my abdomin felt hot for several months. I went to the doctor and after several tests they said I have UC. I still continually bleed, had to constantly shove my rectum back inside when ever I strain or go to the restroom. I still have the pain and constant bleeding. Prolapsed rectum or other injury?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Did you have any kind of tests done before the diagnosis of UC was given to you?

What kind of doctor did you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They only tests were were a colonoscopy and a ct. I saw a gastro.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Did they start you on any medication for UC?

If yes, which one?

They did not mention prolapsed rectum at that point right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was on prednisone, lialda etc and none seemed to help. I am now on Remicade which has slowed the bleeding. I had a colonoscopy on May 31 and he said my UC was in Remission but I still have the abdominal pain, blood in the toilet, constant fluid and mucus leakage and still have to shove my rectum back inside as it comes out if I squat or use the restroom. He never mention prolapsed rectum.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Don.

The chronic bleeding per rectum you have is due to ulcerative colitis as diagnosed by the doctor after colonoscopy, but since recently, especially if you have noticed this yourself that the bleeding occurs only/or more when you exercise, then yes, we need to think of other problems as well that might be complicating the situation.

First, any physcial stress can make the bleeding from UC go worse --- one reason.

Hemorrhoides ---- very common cause for bleeding and usually you get the bleed from hemorrhoides whenever you strain/exercise.

Rectal prolapse can give you a bleed but only if the mucosa is infected and ulcerated (this is a very painful condition).

Angiodysplasia (abnormalities in the blood vessels) in the rectum can also be the cause.

Since you recently have a colonoscopy done, almost all these causes have been ruled out except rectal prolapse (which is there) and for that you need to see the surgeon (this may need surgical repair). I doubt that rectal prolapse is giving you the bleeding, but yes, it can give you rectal and abdominal discomfort.

Also your treatment for UC need to be intensified, you may need addition of steroids and other immune modulatory drugs as clinically the disease is still not in remission (you still have mucus and blood).

Until then, keep yourself adequately hydrated.

And there is no harm in getting a consultation with a surgeon to discuss repair of rectal prolapse, which may provide you a symptomatic relief from the pain.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do notice that the bleeding gets much worse when It is infected as puss comes out of my rectum. Can an infected or prolapsed rectum give off symptoms similar to UC?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Yes it can. Some of the major symptoms of UC can overlap the symptoms of infected and prolapsed rectum (such as bleeding and pain).

I hope this clarifies.

Goodluck.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities