911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

To Mysticdoc, I have a couple rash lines on the tip of my

To Mysticdoc,

I have a couple rash lines on the tip of my fore skin. What could this be? I have not had sex for months now and have not changed partners at all...this started like a month back, I applied some ointment on it and then it went away. It came back last week...It starts of with being itchy, and when I itch it, it causes those lines...Please advice
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

Time to get a physician to look at this and possibly do a scraping or a biopsy.

911DOC :

you have tried steroid cream and antifungal and had some success

911DOC :

but we are no closer to knowing what this is

911DOC :

this could be a fungal infection in which case clotrimazole should clear it

911DOC :

but the fact that it has come back rasises other issues

911DOC :

one of which is the possibility of psoriasis

911DOC :

and to diagnose this requires a biopsy... taking a small piece of skin and studying it under the microscope.

911DOC :

psoriasis is a recurrent problem and if this is the answer you need to know so that you can take measures to prevent the recurrence

911DOC :

more likely this is fungal or bacterial

911DOC :

but the definitive diagnosis will come from a skin scraping or biopsy

911DOC :

and it's time to get that done.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you get on chat? I have another pic that is a better one...

http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/jackiechanpc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/c281a48a-dd43-420f-a4ca-192bc27ceef7_zps4a4ad487.jpg.html

Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

that is a better picture. it looks less like psoriasis. however, skin problems that do not respond to the typical treatments of antifungals or steroids NEED to be seen by a physician. There is simply no way to diagnose them without an exam and labs. The skin of the foreskin is macerated and you have some open sores. herpes is on the list. fungal infections are on the list. the fact that this has recurred makes it an absolute necessity to get in with a doctor WHILE the abnormality is visible because this is when the correct diagnosis is likely to be made.

best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I go to a urologist or a normal physician? And isn't herpes through sex? I have not had sex for more than 6 months now....And i have heard that herpes hurts like hell...but for me it doesn't hurt...it is just itchy and the itchiness goes away when i put some cream on it. It doesn't hurt if i dont touch it. And even when I do, it is like 1 out of 10 on pain scale. I will show it to the doc but needed to understand it. Also which doc, some forums say dermatologist, some say physician and some say urologist. I did masturbate in the shower before this happened...like a day prior to when I noticed the abrasion...

Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

the best choice would be a dermatologist. this is a skin problem and not a urological problem. herpes is unlikely if this is not a painful eruption though it is possible to have herpes and have occasional recurrences. again, a biopsy or skin scraping will get the diagnosis and a dermatologist will get this done in one visit IF you go while you are having symptoms.

best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to the dermatologist, he asked me questions about sexual interactions - both oral or normal, I told him it's close to an year. He asked if it was painful - I said no. He then looked at it under light and said it is not herpes. He applied some solution on it that was purple in color and prescribed me some mupirocin. He said it would fix it in 4-5 days. He then asked me to come back if it returns. He said test is not necessary and will do a test if it happens again. He asked me to use proper lube while masturbating, as according to him that could be a major cause for it and also the itching. let me know what you think.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

I think the dermatologist is correct. Mupirocin is an antibacterial ointment or cream that treats common skin bacteria. I'm glad you got to see a dermatologist. His reassurance that this is not an STD is great and can be trusted, certainly it carries a lot more weight than anything I can provide here as he is an expert at skin conditions and diseases, got to see you and the skin problem in person, performed tests, and came to a diagnosis. I would be very reassured if I were you.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I was a little skeptical about STD as well...as I have not had sex for almost a year now, oral or intercourse. And everytime I had sex in the past always used a condom. never unprotected sex and I don't do oral at all. But when I saw this I was scared. By the way, what is that purple solution that he put on there? And will that purple color come off?It looks like my skin is stained :)

Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

It may be Gentian violet. It should come off with time. I would not go crazy trying to get it off, just let it come off by itself. To the extent it may have been applied as a treatment that is another reason to let it be. Don't worry, it's not permanent.

Thanks for your questions.

Best