Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hi. Im a 36-year-old female with a 1.5-month history of increasing

Hi. I'm a 36-year-old female with a 1.5-month history of increasing RLQ pain that radiates to my back and down my upper leg. History of ovarian cysts. Pain is now 6/10. New insurance does not become effective for 60 days. Advice for management in the interim? Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you get fever?

Foul smelling urine?

Burning sensation/frequent urination?

Abdominal distension?

How far NSAID's have been helpful to control this pain? Which one you have taken and in how much doses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. No fever.

2. No foul smelling urine.

3. No burning sensation or frequent urination.

4. No abdominal distention.

5. NSAIDs ineffective. Have been taking ibuprofen 800 mg every six hours.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Allie.

There can be number of reasons for this.

Ovarian cysts again on the top (infected or ruptured).

Appendicitis (which may run a subclinical and prolonged course leading to abscess formation and chronic pain).

Ileocolitis (due to bacterial, parasitic or even tuberculous infection).

Stones in the ureter.

Infection of the urinary tract.

A pinched nerve (in the spine or in the thigh).

Ideally this should be evaluated now, both clinically as well as in the form of investigation like Ultrasound/CT of the abdomen to exactly diagnose the condition responsible for this which will direct a specific and targeted management plan.

At home there are few measures honestly, to help you.

Change from ibuprofen to naproxen (more strong pain reliever) and take up to 500 mg twice daily.

Add tylenol as well in combination with naproxen.

Apply heating pads to the affected area.

Maintain adequate hydration.

Use more fibre (metamucil) and veggies.

Avoid fatty and spicy meals.

And take small frequent meals instead of three large one's.

See how you respond to these changes.

If the pain persists, does not improve or get worse, have this evaluated ASAP.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities