Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have discomfort in my neck and under mg armpits accompanied

I have discomfort in my neck and under mg armpits accompanied by a sore stiff neck with pain in the back of neck and head. I cannot feel any noticeable swellings but am worried what is causing these symptoms
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

How long have you had these symptoms?

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have a headaches along with the neck pain?

Anthony Bray MD :

Any fever?

Anthony Bray MD :

The armpit area pain or tenderness would seem to suggest maybe active lyph nodes. This area is rich in lymph nodes and some viral syndromes cetainly may be accompanied by arm pit area tenderness....

Anthony Bray MD :

The neck pain that you describe seems to be broader in possible causes... this may be musculaoskeletal for example....

Anthony Bray MD :

The pain in the neck would not seem necessatily connected to the armpit discomfort >> are they linked by the time of onset??

Anthony Bray MD :

Have you tried Tylenol or an anti-inflammatory such as Aleve?? If so has this helped some??

Anthony Bray MD :

Is the neck soreness mainly posterior neck or anterior as well??

Anthony Bray MD :

Have you done anything that may have aggravated your neck such as a long continuous stretch at your computer without getting up to rest and stretch for example??

Anthony Bray MD :

A lower respiratory infection might coinicide with activating the armpit area lymph nodes so I would advise that you watch for symptoms associated with this type of infection such as fever or cough....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would watch for sore throat as well....

Customer:

The armpit discomfort radiates to both bressts and under my chin on both sides are tender to touch but I wouldnt say there are any obvious swelling, the pain and stiffness seems to be at back of neck with pain on both sides of back neck and base of skull but again no obvious swollen nodes. Could this be an infection caused by unprotteced sex, swabs have come back clear for stds

Anthony Bray MD :

The areas of tenderness does seem to coincide to areas rich in lymph nodes and so some infectious disease seems likley>> that being said I would not say that this pattern would seem to suggest an STD although if you have had risky behavior then certtainly be tested appropriately to include syphilis and HIV >> on the whole other respiratory infections would be much much more common as your probable cause however...

Anthony Bray MD :

The pattern is likley to be viral and transient on the order of about a week>> if longer or worsening then I would be of increased concern and advise furthr evaluation...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that you are safe to watch such symptoms and wait for about a week to see if this does not improve by your own immune system however...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Customer:

I was poorly about a week ago with sore throat and aching limbs and congestion could it be related? The only risky encounter I had was about 18 months to 2 years ago which was unprotected vaginal sex, if hiv or syphilis was contracted at this point would I be seeing my symptoms at this timescale? Are there any other infections that if caught and untreated that would cause my symptoms

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds to me very likley that your recent illness is connected to current symptoms...

Anthony Bray MD :

This could be one of many common viral infections to cause this type pattern. mono... adenovirus or coxsackie viral speciaes might act in such a fashion...

Anthony Bray MD :

This would seem to be your more likley culprit and not an STD from 18 months ago...

Anthony Bray MD :

If you should have ongoing prolonged symptoms beyond the next 7 to 10 days then have your doctor do a check up on you. A CBC ( complete blood count and EBV titers = mono) would be a reasonable place to start I think if the symptoms should for any reason fail to improve for you soon...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this helps!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if I may be of further help!

Anthony Bray MD :

I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Do u need medication for any of the infections you have suggested or does the body get rid of them?

Anthony Bray MD :

The ones that I most suspect such as mono are viral and would not benefit from an antibiotic...

Anthony Bray MD :

A bacterial infection would benefit from an antibiotic....

Anthony Bray MD :

A bacterial pattern of infection is usually one of slow progression such as a gradually worsening sore throat then cough, productive cough, later worse cough waking you up at night nad later fever ... this is the type of pattern to be alert for and see your doctor about should that occur...

Anthony Bray MD :

Similar with a sinus infection... graqdual worsening progression with bacterial cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

The aches and the tenderness of the armpits seem to imply that your immune system is fighting something but viral is statistically more likley at this point....

Anthony Bray MD :

With vast majority of viral infections our immune system just bats them down in a relatively short amount of time....

Customer:

Finally I have something up my left nostril which has appeared over the same time scale which appears to be crusty scab like which is also sore to touch and there is traces of blood in mucus when I blow my nose could this be related to my other symptoms

Anthony Bray MD :

Mycoplasma >> an atypical bacterial infection could fit the patterna and this one would respond to an antibiotic. You might ask your doctor about checking for that if symptoms do not recede in short time span as well...

Anthony Bray MD :

It is possible > yes >> uncertain to me at this point how much of a "big deal" this nostril thing is....

Anthony Bray MD :

A bacterial infection may start or gain footing in the nostrils... staph bacteria is common colonizing bacteria in this area so that would be a possible culprit...

Anthony Bray MD :

The nostrils are a common area for sometimes bad sinus infections to gain a foothold...

Anthony Bray MD :

So I certainly do not dismiss your nostril soreness and tenderness...

Anthony Bray MD :

Strep as in "strep throat" or group A step bacteria are so toxic in nature that there symptoms are more widespread than the actual infection....

Customer:

If I put my finger on it its feels crusty like a scab and if I touch it its sore, I scraped it off but it seems to just scab back over and remain tender...would this fit with a bacterial infection?

Anthony Bray MD :

Common to have fever with the first couple of strep infections that you have but less fever as you age....

Anthony Bray MD :

It could be a source but you also need to allow a scab to heal...

Customer:

I wouldnt say ive had any noticeable high temperatures

Anthony Bray MD :

I can't tell just from you having a scab if it is infected or not.. certainly it would not be a clean type of wound and would be typically at least contaminated with bacteria on the surface.. you may benefit to use a Q tip and apply Neosporin to this sopt twice a day ...

Anthony Bray MD :

Watch for progression such as a developing sinus infection and see your doctor if that should be the case...

Anthony Bray MD :

Most bacterial sinus infections do not give an adult a fever but a more serious one such as pneumonia would....

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice