Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I had black tarry stools this morning and am dizzy and lightheaded

Customer Question

I had black tarry stools this morning and am dizzy and lightheaded (although haven't passed out.) I have moderate abdominal pain in my upper left abdomen. Should I got to the emergency room?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this? do you see my message?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Customer:

Hi yes- this is fine

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is definitely something for the ER

Dr. P Jyoti :

you need to go to the ER immediately for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

black tarry stools means that you are probably having some bleeding in the intestine

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is the most likely cause

Dr. P Jyoti :

any blood in the stools needs an ER visit immediately

Customer:

i don't have severe abdominal pain, but the stool was definitely black. I've had a number of abdominal issues in the past year (blood clot in my superior mesenteric vein after surgery for cecal volvulus.) I am no longer on blood thinners, however

Customer:

I've never seen stool like this before

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is because there can be quite a lot of bleeding already by the time it shows up in the stool

Customer:

I like to try to avoid ERs if possible, which is why I wanted to speak with someone first

Dr. P Jyoti :

that makes it even more imperative to go to the ER

Customer:

just given my history of many visits last year

Customer:

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

i understand, but this is something that you just have to go to the ER for

Dr. P Jyoti :

it cannot be avoided

Dr. P Jyoti :

your history of cecal volvulus makes this even more important

Customer:

I have not eaten anything that would cause false melena (pepto bismol, blueberries, iron supplements) so you are probably right

Customer:

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

as you could be having this again, or something like torsion of the intestine

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right

Customer:

so even moderate pain is concerning in a situation like this? It's definitely not severe or unbearable, but it is there

Dr. P Jyoti :

the fact that you are dizzy, etc means that you are already weak

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, moderate pain also is worrisome

Customer:

OK- thank you so much

Dr. P Jyoti :

it could mean something like torsion or intestinal arterial clot

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

hope my answer has been helpful

Customer:

it has- thank you, sincerely.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

I usually need an extra push to get to the doctor since I've had to go so much in the past year, so this is good. I'll be sure to rate your response highly

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

thank you

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.