Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I had a car accident on October 8, 2011 in a 1973 Miata where

I had a car accident on October 8, 2011 in a 1973 Miata where the airbag was deployed because of various impacts. I've had a persistent cough that won't go away since then. Could my cough be a result of my inhaling this old airbag powder?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you through up phlegm as well or just have a dry cough?

Associated shortness of breath?

Palpitations?

Any tests done so far?

What kind of treatment you have taken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My cough is mostly a dry cough that chokes me sometimes and phelm will come up.

When I take a deep breath I start coughing.

No heart palpitations and I don't think I have shortness of breath

No tests done so far, I've mentioned it to my dr. but because I don't have insurance I haven't really persued it.

I have allergies and I take Aller-tec (Cetirizine HCI 10mg) every day, and occasionally if I get a sinus headache take Advil cold and sinus..

I have an appointment to go see a Pulmonologist next week but I would like to know if my problem warrants me seeing a specialist.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Yes, this warrants a visit to a specialist not only for a comprehensive clinical examination but also for necessary investigations including;

Chest X-ray or other imaging studies of lungs like HRCT of lungs

Pulmonary function tests

Sputum examination (gram staining/zn staining and culture)

This is very unlikely to be from the air bag as inhalation of dusts like that require years (even decades) of exposure to the lungs to produce chronic lung problems such as DPLD (diffuse parenchymal lung disease) which can give you cough and shortness of breath.

This is most likely due to chronic allergies.

Or Asthma (mild form).

Or even COPD.

Only further investigations will unveil the underlying diagnosis which will direct further management plan so getting a consultation with a pulmonologist and discussing all the details i have mentioned to chalk out further management plan is the right plan and your best chance.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

But we can not rule out

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
I am here for a follow up.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.