Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

About three weeks ago I had surgery for a torn achilles tendon.

About three weeks ago I had surgery for a torn achilles tendon. I haven't had any complications from the surgery until yesterday when I had a shortness of breathe and a sharp pain in my right shoulder. I went to the emergency room where they gave me some aspirin and nitroglycerine pills just in case it was my heart. Because the doctor thought it may have been a pulmonary embolism, he called for me to have blood test and chest x-ray. All the tests came back negative and he diagnosed me with pleurisy. He also sent me home with some meds for Lortab and Naproxen Sodium. I've taken those meds but the pain has not abated. I'm wondering if those tests were enough for the doctor to rule out an embolism? I don't feel confident about things but I do plan on going to my primary doctor tomorrow.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Customer:

sure

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you know what blood test was done? was it the D dimer test?

Customer:

yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

well, this means that the D dimer test was negative

Dr. P Jyoti :

this goes strongly against pulmonary embolism

Dr. P Jyoti :

it does not rule it out completely though

Customer:

ok

Dr. P Jyoti :

a CT angiography is needed for final confirmation

Dr. P Jyoti :

PE can be difficult to diagnose and requires a number of clinical and radiological results

Customer:

ok, well I'm going to my primary tomorrow and I'll ask her about the CT

Dr. P Jyoti :

the D dimer is the first test and if it is negative, the likelyhood of PE diminishes greatly

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, to be absolutely sure, the CT angiography is needed

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will be confirmatory

Dr. P Jyoti :

since you have a suspicion of PE, and specially because of your history of surgery, you can have this done

Customer:

That would certainly make me feel a lot better

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Customer:

thanks

Dr. P Jyoti :

meanwhile of course continue the medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

thats right, it will give a certainty

Dr. P Jyoti :

wish you good health and a quick recovery

Customer:

thank you

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.