Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello, My 75 year old mother has had a history of excessive

My 75 year old mother has had a history of excessive wax build up in her ears so she required frequent ear washes. After her last ear wash in Nov 2012, she started to experience severe itching in her inner ear which started at night but is now continuing on a regular basis. She has also had a dry cough for many years. She's tried a nasal rinse over the last six months as well as mineral oil and ear drops for the itching.
Nose bleeds started about a week ago.
She went to see an ENT a month ago but he wasn't much help and just said she has a lot of wax build up. She has an appointment with another ENT in about a week but she feels he'll just say the same. Right now she's just very anxious and frustrated as the area around her left ear is sore from her rubbing and shaking the area to try to stop the itching.
Thank you for any advice you can provide about this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT and can help you on this. Would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello do you see my message?

Customer:

yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

is she continuing to have nose bleeds?

Customer:

yes

Dr. P Jyoti :

well, in that case this is something that needs further investigation

Dr. P Jyoti :

i will go briefly through the areas that need to be investigated

Dr. P Jyoti :

firstly, it is possible that nose bleeds and the ear itching are not connected at all

Customer:

okay

Dr. P Jyoti :

elderly people may develop nose bleeds sometimes which happens due to atherosclerosis of the vessels and this can be treated with medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

but one condition which needs to be ruled out is a growth in the nasopharynx

Dr. P Jyoti :

this can block up the eustachian tube causing the itching, and can be the cause of the nosebleeds

Dr. P Jyoti :

regarding the itching in the ear, two important causes need to be ruled out

Dr. P Jyoti :

one is fungal infection of the ear

Dr. P Jyoti :

second is eustachian tube block, which can also cause this itching

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is good that she is already scheduled to see an ENT

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask the ENT about these three possibilities

Dr. P Jyoti :

fungal infection of the ear

Dr. P Jyoti :

eustachian tube block

Dr. P Jyoti :

growth in the nasopharynx which may be the cause of this bleeding

Dr. P Jyoti :

also ask about these two investigations:

Dr. P Jyoti :

impedance audiometry, which will check for eustachian tube block

Dr. P Jyoti :

and CT scan of the nasopharynx

Dr. P Jyoti :

also a nasopharynx scope

Dr. P Jyoti :

discussing in this way will help her to get an informed discussion

Dr. P Jyoti :

the ENT will be forced to look at all these issues

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will help her to get an accurate diagnosis

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

Thank you Dr Jyoti.

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

wish her good health and an early recovery

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.