Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

Hello doctor i had a question i have been having a tiny patch

Hello doctor i had a question i have been having a tiny patch of red spots on the shaft of my penis it usually itches when it is very hot out other than that its not painful there is no discharge and it seems to fine when its cold out or I don't have a day with alot of activity i saw a local doctor upon examining my penis he concluded it is most likely an abrasion from rough sex or masturbation i first noticed it after rough sex with my ex girlfriend he gave me fluconazole to take and i have been applying jock itch spray to the affected area i am wondering when is this going to go away if ever?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Is there any discharge from these spots?

Are these painful to touch?

Screened for STD's?

The treatment you have taken has not helped much right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello doctor and thank you for your time to answer your questions in order

No discharge from the spots

No pain whatsoever

Have not been screened for an std in a while probably 3 years

The treatment has helped a little as in i haven't felt any itching anymore but the little patch still seems to come back when its hot out have i not given enough time? I took the pill about 4 or 5 days ago

Thank you very much for the useful information Jon.

These kind of spots are not specific to only a particular clinical condition rather there are a number of important possibilities.

I would not consider this to be a fungal infection because the fungal infection of the genitalia does not cause raised bumps/spots, rather it give rises to a more widespread and generalized rash (and this is the reason why anti-fungals have not worked).

Some of these kind of spots are age related; but they should not itch in general.

Bacterial infection like folliculitis can be a reason.

Angiokeratomas (small vascular lesions) can be another reason, which are usually present with out symptoms, and persist unless treated (removed by laser). They can appear any time with out any specific trigger. This does not spread from one person to another.

Molluscum Contagiosum is another possibility --- a viral infection that spreads from skin to skin contact.

Bowenoid papulosis is another viral infection which give hyper pigmented lesions and most of these resolve spontaneously.

Finally an atypical presentation of herpes (but this is a least likely possibility here).

Since you have been active sexually, its recommended to get your self screened for STD's and at the same time see your doctor for a careful clinical examination discussing the details i have mentioned to get a specific diagnosis and management plan that suits best to your needs.

Once an exact cause is identified, a specific an targeted treatment can be instituted to eradicate this problem.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.