Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I have found that my pillow, inside the wrapping is full of

I have found that my pillow, inside the wrapping is full of uneven white pieces, som tread shaped and up to 5 mm long. My feces has been extremely full of worms/worm eggs of unidentified type. Seen a lot of very different fragments all likely to be worms/ worm eggs.I fist thought that the white spots were lice, but it doesn't fit the profile of lice, does it...Pinworms are rare in my country. Could it be anything else than pinworms? It is definetly not dandruff.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Have you got your stools tested?

Taken any treatment for the worms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I brought a stool sample to my doctor containing about 10% suspicious white objects. My doctor said that she'd send in a test to find which kind of worm it was. The test came back negative. I have found larger and more even dead worms in the feces ( 1 mm or less broad and visible part close to a cm long. After colonic I have seen part of a worm 2-3 mm broad. I have also found flat objects, and on the sofa an s-shaped couple of mm long moving worm. I have taken Vermox ( mebendalzole). First week two tablets per day for 3 days. Second week one tablet. Third week same as first week. Taking the last tablets of treatment round 3 today.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Well, honestly mebendazole is a very useful drug for most of the worms (parasites) but few need other kind of medications to be killed and eradicated from your body.

If you are sure that you are passing worms (not food material resembling worms) in your stools, then the sample should be repeated. This is the first step in the management as unless the specific kind of worm is identified a specific and targeted management plan can not be instituted.

As per standard guidelines, at least 2 sets of stool samples have to be sent to the laboratory in order to analyze this with certainty. It is not only the worms, but also the eggs and ova of the parasites which help in establishing the diagnosis.

Once identified and diagnosed, it will be easy for the doctors to give you the most useful drug to treat this.

Piperazine

Albendazole

Pyrantal pamoate

Levimasole

These are few other useful medications that can be used.

So your next step is to get a consultation with an Internist in your area and make sure that your stool samples are studied by a parasitologist (which your doctor can help find one) who can diagnose this with certainty.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities