Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My 19 year old son was taking sulfamethoxazole(1 tablet twice

Customer Question

My 19 year old son was taking sulfamethoxazole(1 tablet twice per day)for 2 months for his acne with 1 month off from taking it...he resumed taking it again,and after 6 days he showed a change in his quiet personality,he was euphoric,happy,hyper,not eating or sleeping...He was admitted to the hospital and kept for observation...after 9 days in psyche ward..they put him on 1000 mg of depakote,trazodone,ativan,risperidone..Discharged him...he has been on meds for 12 days...I feel the septra induced the psychotic break...will it reverse itself with the prescribed medication he is currently taking?He is nott taking the septra now...will my son be himself again?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P Jyoti :

did he have any problems when he took it the first two months?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hello, do you see my message? Please reply and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message

Customer:

No problems during first 2 months on septra...

Dr. P Jyoti :

In that case it is not very likely that these problems are from septra

Dr. P Jyoti :

psychiatric problems are very rare with septra

Dr. P Jyoti :

it may occassionally cause some confusion, sleepiness, etc

Dr. P Jyoti :

but the mood you describe, of hypermania, is not known with septra

Dr. P Jyoti :

the fact that he did not have any symptoms the first two months, which is quite a long period, also goes against this

Dr. P Jyoti :

though the symptoms did start 6 days after starting the drug, this may have been a coincidence

Dr. P Jyoti :

that said, this could be one of the rare psychiatric side effects

Dr. P Jyoti :

but as I said, statistically this is very unlikely

Customer:

We have tried to figure out what made him change and it is the only cause we can conclude because he had started taking the septra when he suffered the break

Dr. P Jyoti :

I understand that, but this was probably just a coincidence

Dr. P Jyoti :

in any case, he is sure to recover from this, whether induced by septra or not

Dr. P Jyoti :

psychiatric events often do not have a cause and are trigerred internally

Dr. P Jyoti :

not much is known as to why they occur

Dr. P Jyoti :

his age at 19 is typical to start psychiatric symptoms, late teens is a common age for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

but do not worry, psychiatric problems are just like physical problems, they can be cured and treated with medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

most people who have a psychiatric event around this age will not have a repeat if adequately treated

Dr. P Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

My son also had a scare a week earlier from his dad being run over on a motorcycle...he thought he had died,but his dads hand was crushed and he is alive...we wonder if that triggered it...hormones can cause it too we were told...my son is a good kid...no drugs socially...the hospital tested and said he was clean...will depacote return him to normal?..its so sad to see him act diffetent...he is kinda ancy during the day and needs ativan...its not quite 2 weeks yet for meds in his system...when do they begin to show improvement isually...

Dr. P Jyoti :

yes, that scare with the accident is the most likely cause

Dr. P Jyoti :

in fact it is certain to be the cause

Dr. P Jyoti :

and he is certain to show improvement with the medicines

Dr. P Jyoti :

psychiatric medicines can take upto a month to show full effects

Dr. P Jyoti :

and sometimes even longer

Dr. P Jyoti :

he will surely recover, do not worry

Dr. P Jyoti :

just give it more time

Dr. P Jyoti :

my best wishes for him and you

Dr. P Jyoti :

i can see how worried you are, and it is natural to worry and wonder as to when he will return to norma;

Dr. P Jyoti :

but dont worry, he will surely come to normal, just give the medicines more time to have their full effect

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish him good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

I am so frightened that he will not be our same young man...You do believe that he can return back to his normal self...no permanent damage...?How long till meds typically work?Do you think the ones he is on are good for making him better?..

Dr. P Jyoti :

dont worry, he will soon be the same man that he was previously, let me reassure you on this

Dr. P Jyoti :

there wont be any permanent damage, believe me.. he will recover completely and you will get him back

Dr. P Jyoti :

the medicines do take quite some time, and he may need to take the medicines for a long time

Dr. P Jyoti :

but he will surely recover completely and he will be back to his old self

Dr. P Jyoti :

no permanent damage, do not worry

Dr. P Jyoti :

the medicines he is on are fine and they will bring him back to normal

Dr. P Jyoti :

that is my professional opinion - do not worry, he will be back to normal though medicines can take upto a month or a couple of months to be fully effective

Dr. P Jyoti :

so just give it more time and be hopeful - look to the future

Dr. P Jyoti :

this is a difficult time for you but it will soon be over and you will have your son back

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer:

Thank you so much,you have given me more hope..the hospital doctors didn't say much and just discharged him..I have an app. With a psychiatrist for him on the 15th of July (soonest we could get him in)...I appreciate your time and kind words..

Dr. P Jyoti :

really glad to help you

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am glad that I have been able to reassure you

Dr. P Jyoti :

trust me, he will come back to normal

Dr. P Jyoti :

wish him a quick recovery

Dr. P Jyoti :

good night then.

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Customer:

You have no idea how happy you have made me..I have felt like I lost my son,(Like mourning a death)but he is functioning and living...just not the same.

Dr. P Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if you are satisfied with the answer

Dr. P Jyoti :

click on a good rating if you are satisfied

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello,Can I ask Dr.Jyoti a question please?

Hello Nancy,

Yes, of course, I would be happy to help you.

Please ask your question on a different thread and begin your question with, 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' and I will be sure to answer your question when I come online (if I happen to be offline just then).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you see my question?At top of page??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My son saw a psychiatrist today...she reviewed his medical information from his 9 day hospital stay in psych ward a month ago,she said he is most probably bipolar and it is what caused his break to occur..she incresed his depakote to 1500 mgs at bedtime,instead of 1000 mgs and wants a lab test on him in a week....she also said a therapist would be helpful,he is off work for 2 more weeks,he seems better,but still not himself 100%..he takes 1mg ativan every 4 hrs..can you give me your opinion of this diagnosis please and what do you think about increased depakote dosage?Thank you..

This seems a most reasonable diagnosis.

His symptoms are typical of bipolar.

The increased Depakote dose is appropriate for him. You should continue with this, I am sure it will help him.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I am not sure how a person lives 19 years of ones life NOT being bipolar and then just becomes it(bipolar)??

I can understand your perplexity.

But it does happen in this way.

A rapid onset of a manic episode in the late teens is in fact a very typical history of bipolar.

BTW, we have already had multiple exchanges and I trust I have been able to provide you satisfactory answers. I would appreaciate a rating at this point so that I can know that my answers have been satisfactory.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering about my 19 year old sons medication and his social life,he was discharged from his 9 day hospital stay on June 24th(less than a month ago)While he is improved,(maybe 65%)he has been at home,off of work,and taking his meds at 9 p.m. every night,and asleep by 10:00 p.m....I decided to allow him to drive his car and go to a friends for the first time since his break happened...he got home at 11:15 p.m. and took his pills(they are time released) I worried that the 2 hr difference may throw him off of balance after reading about some bipolar patients experiences from missing 1 dose???Will he need to carry them with him all the time and do you think a few hours can give him a setback?

Hello Nancy,

No, a couple of hours will not make much of a difference. But anything near about or more than 6 hours and it is best that he carries the pills with him.